How to choose fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For those of you that love your S-P Jets, are there ANY types of dives or situations where you prefer another fin?

SteveFass:
For those of you that love your S-P Jets, are there ANY types of dives or situations where you prefer another fin?

Nope....maybe in a jacuzzi I'll use some splits :)

SteveFass:

I prefer long Cressies when skin diving.

As several prior posters have said, try as many different types of fins as you can and make up your own mind - what suits one person might not suit you, fins are a very personal piece of kit.

Out of the list you had in your first post, I have to say that in all my years of travelling the globe on assignment, 99 per cent of the time, the guides/instructors/videographers/photo pros, etc, etc are all using Mares Avanti Quattros. I can well believe the claim that they are the world's most-widely purchased fin, as I see them bloody everywhere, from the Caribbean to the Med, to the Red Sea, the Indian Ocean and the Far East.

When I have asked why they've gone for this fin, most state they like the power it gives, the range of kicks they can use, its speed (for chasing down errant students), durability.

Mark

I got in the pool last summer to test something, and I was too lazy to put on the tennis shoes I use to make my Jets fit in warm water, so I threw on a pair of narrow blade fins that date to our OW class. I got three kicks into the pool, turned around, got out, and went and got the tennis shoes . . .

I started with split fins. I think they ARE less work to move in the water. The Jets are stiff and have a lot of resistance -- but resistance means power, too. Less resistance = less water moved with a kick = less propulsion. And the stiff fins permit easy frog-kicking and back kicking (not that back kicking is easy to LEARN, mind you!).

If you are interested in cave diving, you need a fairly stiff fin for the kicks you'll have to learn.

After many years of a love nd hate relationship with Jet fins I still like them. They are the best overall fin but not best at any particular thing.

Da F Alderman says:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Jet fins are fine but they're of 1964 technology.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, they are and I love this fact that all of the techies and "men in black" divers who prefer them but don't like classic gear or any thing other than an Apexor regulators are actually diving VINTAGE fins.

Scuba Pro Jets are barely negative, it does not affect most people very much in salt or fresh water.

N

Back
Top Bottom