How to choose fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Jet fins are fine but they're of 1964 technology. There are better fins available for the recreational diver - you will notice this right away when trying them side by side. Feel free to go around to the dive shops in your area a rent a different pair over several weeks and try them out in real-water conditions. And we posters can say all we want, but YOU are to be the one to choose your fins...

daniel f aleman:
The Jet fins are fine but they're of 1964 technology.

True, but no one's come up with anything better yet. The only fins that come close are even older.

I have been using Jets since 1983 and refuse to change.

I dunno' Walter, it's true that the Jets are a perfect design for certain dive profiles and I use them for most fresh water dives, but I really like the Quattros for salt water. And we both know that half of all divers use splits...

I think if more people tried out Jets, they'd switch over.
"They're not good for flutter!" They're great for flutter, but better for a non-silting frog kick. :D

Is that right? HALF of all divers use split fins?

SteveFass:
Gaaaah! Fins are all different, and if you read / talk enough, you will find someone to say they are all the best.

True. For this reason, the best way to choose your fin (as with other pieces of scuba gear) is to try them out yourself. :wink:

SteveFass:
I'm looking to replace my Apollo split fins, which I like, but not the best for technical diving, and they are long and heavy.

If you are seriously looking into technical diving, SP Jets are probably on top of the list you may want to check out.

daniel f aleman:
I dunno' Walter, it's true that the Jets are a perfect design for certain dive profiles and I use them for most fresh water dives, but I really like the Quattros for salt water.

What's the difference? Salt water is too dense for Jets?

Spady:
Is that right? HALF of all divers use split fins?

I doubt it's that high, but they are very popular. Even if half do use splits, it means half don't. It's meaningless either way.

If you do get a new pair of fins, what are you planning on doing with your Apollos? I've been wanting to try split fins =)

Walter:
Jets are slightly negative in sea water. Some folks would have you believe they are made of lead.

But... but... they're BLACK! Everybody knows that black sinks! Isn't that why lead is so heavy?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom