How to choose fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SteveFass

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Gaaaah! Fins are all different, and if you read / talk enough, you will find someone to say they are all the best.

Based on recommendations, my list includes:
Mares Quatro Avanti
Mares Quatro Excel
Tusa Tri-ex SF6
Cressi Pro Light
Cressi Master Frog
Dive Rite
S-P Jets
OMS Slipstream

The problem is I don't know what features to look for:

Boyancy - positive or negative
Blade width
Blade length
"holes" in them, (like the S-P Jets)
Rubber or plastic
Ribs
Weight
and on and on.

I'm looking for an everything fin. Wetsuit only diving (3mm, 5mm, 7mm), wrecks (minimal penetration so far), caves (soon), and reef. Travel and local.

I'm looking to replace my Apollo split fins, which I like, but not the best for technical diving, and they are long and heavy.

Maybe this belongs in the Whine and Cheese section.

FIn selection..hummmmm

The more gear you push the stronger the fin.

Having said that.

Rec/sport diving..there is a whole wack of fins there.

Split fins are nice but do not perfrom well doing the frog kick as a solid paddle fin. Frog kicking is the standard in tech diving, cave diving, wreck penetrion. And has to be mastered. If your going to go in over head environments. So as not to silt yourself out.

If your going to go the tech route etc i would look into solid paddle fins:

Mares Quatros - light
Scubapro Jets - heavy
OMS Slipstream - very light
Turtles - wide blade

All with spring straps.

If you can try the ones I listed.

I use Mares Quatro and OMS slipstream.

The three negatives *I think* the Jets have are 1) they are negatively boyant which is great for dry suits, but not so good for 3mm wetsuits, and 2) the wide short paddle is great for power and control, but doesn't let you move at the same speed as a longer blade like the DiveRite, and 3) the wide short paddle is not effective for the flutter kick.

I think a lot of people choose fins because that's what their friends or instructors have, or what the magazines tell them is best, or what their local LDS sells. But what makes a good fin? What are the different features all about?

Jets are slightly negative in sea water. Some folks would have you believe they are made of lead. They are fine with dry suits, wet suits or no suit at all.

I never try to go fast, but I suspect they would allow me to move at least as fast as any other fin.

Jets are excellent for the flutter kick.

Features I look for are:

they do the job - I can use any kick I want and I can use them for fine control. I also require them to have power for currents.

The foot pocket must hold water for rinsing my feet after walking across sand.

The must be comfortable.

They must be easy to put on and take off.

They must be open heel fins.

I've found 2 fins that work well for me - Duck Feet and Jet Fins. The Jets have a slight advantage over the Ducks.

The way I did it was to head to about 3 of my LDS's and try on everything I could. Once I figured out which ones would fit my feet, I then took as many of them as I could into a pool and swam with them for awhile. What I quickly learned was that I hate split fins (find them floppy on my feet, and hard to control), but that I love the Jets (easy to control, lots of power, lots of precision). Now I have Jets with spring straps. :D

I think that trying fins in the water is essential to finding the ones that you'll want to wear.

If it's tech, Mark me down for the Slipstreams w/ springs especially if you have a size 12 foot. The foot pocket diff from the XL to the XXL jets is crazy, the Turtle is somewhere inbetween. I think OMS got it right...just my 2 cents

you all keep saying the same thing - that i wasn't even thinking about one of the most important criteria - fit and comfort. I assumed they all fit about the same - good enough but not that great.

I guess I'll take the Maven's idea and get off my duff and go shopping. Better bring my various boots too. Thanks everyone.

SteveFass:
The three negatives *I think* the Jets have are 1) they are negatively boyant which is great for dry suits, but not so good for 3mm wetsuits, and 2) the wide short paddle is great for power and control, but doesn't let you move at the same speed as a longer blade like the DiveRite, and 3) the wide short paddle is not effective for the flutter kick.

I think a lot of people choose fins because that's what their friends or instructors have, or what the magazines tell them is best, or what their local LDS sells. But what makes a good fin? What are the different features all about?
Ever tried them? Kinda hard to tell any of that from not trying them isn't it? :wink:

And what's this deal with speed? "They don't go as fast!!!" Actually Jets can propel you quite quickly if you want to go fast, but WHY would you want to go fast?! Go slowly and look around, that's what you're there for. If you go fast, you'll miss everything.

I'm fairly certain I could beat most people diving splits with my Jets if we were to race...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom