How to carry your SMB?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StreetDoctor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What is the DIR method of carrying your SMB? I have a 6' SMB that is connected to a 100' spool. It feels very awkward in a thigh pocket because it's so large. I have a velcro strap holding it wrapped up and I'm contemplating mounting it to to a hole in my backplate on the right lower side with a snap hook. Is this acceptable or where do you carry yours?

I would recommend getting a smaller SMB and make sure you have a finger spool and not a larger reel.

That should fit better into your thigh pocket.

Don't do it like this idiot...

http://vimeo.com/2037096. (start looking about 1:25 into the video.)

Michael

I have it clipped off to my rear d-ring and then stuffed into my backplate (so it sits between my back and my backplate). Many manufacturers make pouches specifically to hold the smb here, but you can make a holder yourself out of a couple of pieces of bungee. I keep the spool in my pocket.

I usually leave the 6' smb at home unless I'm in a heavy traffic area or big swells. A smaller smb that can be pre-rigged to the spool and kept in my pocket is all I usually need.

Well I'll be diving in open ocean for the first time so I'd prefer to carry the larger SMB. Maybe I'll try the rear D ring, I think it might be harder to get to though? I did have a pouch for it (the diverite velcro one) and it sucked. I lost the SMB in lake michigan twice because the velcro didn't hold. I then replaced the cheap velcro that came on it with 3m and it still came apart. Theres a thread here about that, I'm done with the sleeve. How are people making them with bungee?

You have them attached together? I can see that being a pain to store.
As already said between the back and backplate works well, finger spool in a pocket cliped off.
Sense you've already lost your stuff twice I won't go into why you clip it off in a pocket:)

maybe I'll take them apart and try it that way. I might order a smaller SMB and figure out which one I'll use day of depending on conditions also. The smaller ones are so much easier to inflate anyways. :D

I currently carry an orange lift bag in the backplate MC Pak, clipped off to the rear D-ring, and a 6' orange SMB clipped off in the right pocket. I plan to replace the SMB with a smaller yellow one as an emergency signal for use when the lift bag is already deployed.

None is attached to a spool when stowed. I'm debating whether to change that when I switch to the yellow one.

I've had no problems with either size in my dry suit pocket. Have you tried folding it instead of rolling? Sometimes when folding, it will lay flatter in the pocket.

You need to hang around more. :)

I know the advantages/reasons for having a spool, but I don't use one. I simply have my sausage clipped to a lower ring on my BC.

The times I have used the sausage, I simply inflate and move it to an upper ring on my BC.

Is this bad form?

I know the advantages/reasons for having a spool, but I don't use one. I simply have my sausage clipped to a lower ring on my BC.

The times I have used the sausage, I simply inflate and move it to an upper ring on my BC.

Is this bad form?

Makes inflating it at depth impossible unless you have really really long arms :) . Are you aware this is the DIR forum?

Duane, I'm heading to Haigh on sunday I'll try the fold method. I also got rid of the thigh pocket (kept coming loose and trying to spin). I got a waist strap pocket similar to the size of a can light that I can also hook my long hose under :cool2:

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom