How to carry your SMB?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry. My bad. :depressed: I'm just mimicking what I've seen other, whom I thought were experienced divers, do.

DIR= Do It Right?? (new abbreviation term to me) Sorry again.

That's what it means but please don't wreck the thread by asking what it is....:(

Makes inflating it at depth impossible unless you have really really long arms :) . Are you aware this is the DIR forum?

Duane, I'm heading to Haigh on sunday I'll try the fold method. I also got rid of the thigh pocket (kept coming loose and trying to spin). I got a waist strap pocket similar to the size of a can light that I can also hook my long hose under :cool2:

Good thing. I didn't want to mention it to you hoping you'd finally figure it out. Once your ready for a dry suit, let me know. That way we can discuss the options for the suit. Feel free to contact me before you buy any equipment, regardless of how insignificant it may seem. I've spent a lot of $$$ just on the "little" things that I eventually found I didn't need. Could have bought another set of doubles with that money. :)

I'm out till Monday. I'm hoping to hit the quarry one or two more times in the next couple weeks. I'll hit you up about your schedule before then.

I know the advantages/reasons for having a spool, but I don't use one. I simply have my sausage clipped to a lower ring on my BC.

The times I have used the sausage, I simply inflate and move it to an upper ring on my BC.

Is this bad form?

Are you talking about using it underwater or on the surface? Certainly clipping the sausage to you underwater can be rather dangerous (run away ascent). Are you also referring to a SMB or sausage. They are two different things.

Well I'll be diving in open ocean for the first time so I'd prefer to carry the larger SMB. Maybe I'll try the rear D ring, I think it might be harder to get to though? I did have a pouch for it (the diverite velcro one) and it sucked. I lost the SMB in lake michigan twice because the velcro didn't hold. I then replaced the cheap velcro that came on it with 3m and it still came apart. Theres a thread here about that, I'm done with the sleeve. How are people making them with bungee?

They just take a couple of pieces of bungee and secure them to the holes on either side so that the bungees run horizontal across the backplate. Stuff the smb behind the bungees and clip the tail to your read d-ring. If the d-ring is positioned well you shouldn't have much problem reaching it. Its a simple, cheap and affective.

Good thing. I didn't want to mention it to you hoping you'd finally figure it out. Once your ready for a dry suit, let me know. That way we can discuss the options for the suit. Feel free to contact me before you buy any equipment, regardless of how insignificant it may seem. I've spent a lot of $$$ just on the "little" things that I eventually found I didn't need. Could have bought another set of doubles with that money. :)

I'm out till Monday. I'm hoping to hit the quarry one or two more times in the next couple weeks. I'll hit you up about your schedule before then.

Sounds good, weather really seems to be holding still (knock on wood) they're saying 70's early next week. I'd love to get out a few more times with you this year. I figure I'll be ordering a drysuit early march and I'll definitely be in touch before then. :cool2:

Folded it instead of rolled it and it fits in the pocket nicely pre-attached to a finger spool :) I might try and mount it on the bottom of the backplate with bungee in the future but this works for now.

Are you talking about using it underwater or on the surface? Certainly clipping the sausage to you underwater can be rather dangerous (run away ascent). Are you also referring to a SMB or sausage. They are two different things.

My other fear with a run-away SMB or sausage is fouling on a boat in a busy area. I do some diving in the St. LAwrence River, and while you'd think a big red SMB is a sign for boats to keep away... well, any ways, there is no "Driving It Right" forum for watercraft, and I have always feared that a boat might foul my smb and drag me along for a ride.

So, I use a fingerspool and simply hold it when deployed. I hope this is an acceptable answer on this forum :)

For open water, I carry two smb's: One is a 1-meter for purposes of "shooting" the marker to the surface to either signal commencement of deco, drift dive placement or to mark a spot. I keep this one in my left suit pocket along with a jump line/finger spool. The second is a 6 foot marker for signaling on the surface. This one is kept in a folded manner (not rolled up but nice and flat) b/t the back plate cover and the back plate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom