How To Build Your Own Diving Lung

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What do these look like to you guys?

Twin Scuba Tanks

I'm going to try and post the pic too in case the link won't work.

Do they look like they were probably air tanks intended for scuba or surplus CO2 tanks? I don't see any additional bushings in the pic. It looks like a J-valve on there along with harness on one side and something else (?) on the other side plus it looks like a carry-handle on the side. The post says "low pressure steel" so do you guys think they are 2250 psi or probably only 1800 psi tanks?

I have requested more info/pics from the seller but I'm thinking if the tanks are not any good then the manifold and harness might be worth around $40 IF it will fit, say, a couple of modern aluminum 50s. What do you guys think?

Twin Scuba Tanks
\
Hmmm.... it wants a URL for the PIC so I did the "Insert Link" thinking maybe the link I put in above won't work. Can't I upload a pic from my hard drive?

3k43m03o55O05Z45W2a4ga37de0ccaf1e1beb.jpg

There you go.

Looks like they are 1800 psi's or maybe 1880's........voit, USD, etc.......ask the guy.......

Thanks. So far I found out they have a US Divers manifold and they are 2250 tanks. I'm still trying to find out the hydro dates but apparently I'm not on the same technological level as the seller (I don't know what an iPhone is and don't even have a cel phone).

I still have a copy of thr Popular Mechanics article. I will send you a zerox copy if you would like.

Ben

Another interesting piece of diving gear was the hand pump that Popular Mechanics published was one-you won't believe this- made from two quart oil cans and a gallon can that were held together by toilet float rods. It was a wobble pump like those made by Miller Dunn. The pump would send air down a hose to the diver who had -and I am not kidding- a hot warer bottle around his neck used as a breather bag! A tee tied the breather bag to the mouthpiece and exhausted through a duck beak valve.
Incidentally, this is how I found out amout squeeze.

Manganese is an alloy mixed in steel in the molten state. It would amount to only 12 or 14 % by weight max. Pure manganese would be too brittle and expensive to make tanks from.

Ben

Another interesting piece of diving gear was the hand pump that Popular Mechanics published was one-you won't believe this- made from two quart oil cans and a gallon can that were held together by toilet float rods. It was a wobble pump like those made by Miller Dunn. The pump would send air down a hose to the diver who had -and I am not kidding- a hot warer bottle around his neck used as a breather bag! A tee tied the breather bag to the mouthpiece and exhausted through a duck beak valve.
Incidentally, this is how I found out amout squeeze.

Do you happen to know about when it was publlished? I couldn't find it on either the Popular Science or Mechanics archives. The hot water bottle sounds sorta familiar for some reason.

I'm currently trying to come up with something that I can use in my swimming pool, without spending any money (saving up for the recession that's coming). I considered using some sort of oilless compressor connected to a second stage with some sort of inline filter to catch any metallic particles coming from the piston/rings etc. I read some posts about hookahs and couldn't find any halfass devices that anyone thought was safe to use. Perhaps a bellows would work.... I figure I need AT LEAST 1 cfm @ 120 psi if I don't exert myself. 2 cfm would probably be a lot better.

OK, so I come from a long line of rednecks.

Hot water bottle, you might have been thinking of this:

swampfox.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom