How To Build Your Own Diving Lung

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JamesBon92007

Contributor
Reaction score
Southern California...too far from the ocean
# of dives
2500 - 4999
My daughter was talking to an 89-year-old guy who said he made his own scuba regulator back in the 50s. He said he made it from a fire extinguisher. Naturally I had to learn more but so far have not found any good sites that show how to do it. Anyone have any links? I found out there was an article in the June 1953 Popular Science magazine but can't find the article. Given the time frame I figured this was more of a "Vintage" than a "DIY" question.

There has to be reprints somewhere. A LDS has the article up on the wall, it was a differnt time back then.

The fire extinguisher would have been used as a cylinder, not a regulator.

Cover:
popsci.jpg

Ya, and you get to use a back plate too. Shows how far back plates and such go, DIR is just a refindment.

The fire extinguisher would have been used as a cylinder, not a regulator.

I don't have many details yet but I was thinking that fire extinguishers have an on/off valve controlled by a lever which (perhaps) could be used as a demand valve. Plus it comes with the air tank. I'll try to get more info from the guy via my daugther.

Back
Top Bottom