How to become a DIR Instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ppo2_diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
How does one become a DIR-F instructor? I've been wanting to take the DIR-F course for a while, but the wife won't let me go on anymore diving trips (at least until after the baby is born) and there is no DIR instructor in the Chicago area. So I have become a little disappointed in the lack of DIR support here in Chicago. So, since I'm a PADI instructor, I thought maybe I could eventually become a DIR instructor and spread the DIR word.

Thanks.

Duane

If you contact GUE they can help you. I believe that they have a course for it.

Also you can always import a DIR-F instructor to your location to teach the course.

There are two instructors in the Detroit area. Find "BCS" on the list and he'll give you the real story on how to become a Fundamentals instructor. It's a long process with quite a bit of travel and you better be good at getting coffee :wink:

jhnsndn:
How does one become a DIR-F instructor? I've been wanting to take the DIR-F course for a while, but the wife won't let me go on anymore diving trips (at least until after the baby is born) and there is no DIR instructor in the Chicago area. So I have become a little disappointed in the lack of DIR support here in Chicago. So, since I'm a PADI instructor, I thought maybe I could eventually become a DIR instructor and spread the DIR word.

Thanks.

Duane

jhnsndn:

Thanks.

Duane

Brandon Scwhartz and I have taught several classes in the Chicago area, and we're in the process of setting up another class in your area, PM me for additional details on the class. But as to the larger point about becoming a GUE instructor, it's very much a mentorship type paradigm. Generally speaking you'll need to first take and pass the DIR-F class. Prior to attending the Instructor workshop you'll want to attend as many DIR-F classes with as many different DIR-F instructors as you can. Bear in mind that only some instructors are "official" mentors for purposes of attending the minimum required number of classes, but you'll quickly see that DIR-F instructors aren't about "minumums". The bar is set high and we want to keep it that way, so many instructors who have tried to crossover are slow to understand that the crossover process is much more then other agencies.

It has very much to do with fully understanding the DIR philosophy, fully understanding how to teach our methodology and in many respects fully understanding that GUE is desirous of changing the way we educate divers and changing the way the industry approaches training. We are diametrically opposed to faster, shorter and cheaper classes. We aren't looking for instructors that are willing to compromise our core values, in order to "positively reinforce" a student. We fully acknowledge that there are many other agencies out there that cater to a market that is more willing to require less, rather then requiring more. We are looking to be an alternative to that approach. The mindset and understanding is equally as important as demonstration quality skills.

Once you take and pass the DIR-F class, you'll need to attend an Instructor workshop and that after that, at a minimum you'll need to attend 3 additional DIR-F classes under the supervision of a "mentor", and then after that you'll need 2 of 3 of either JJ, Andrew G and/or David Rhea to sign you off. Every instructor candidate is different, so in other words, there is no specific structure, inasmuch as it depends on your skill level, your ability to adopt our philosophical teaching methodology, and your ability to preform at the level GUE requires. It's a long road, but I promise you that once you travel it, you'll never again approach diving instruction the same way.

Hope that helps.

Michael Kane
GUE Instructor 5027

I agree with Mike that the process fully redefines how you approach dive instruction. I thought I was an OK instructor prior to my involvement with GUE, but I didn't even know how far you could really take the art of teaching. It's been, at times, a trying, but always rewarding journey.

An excellent source of information regarding becoming an instructor can be found in GUE's Standards and Procedures, notable section 3.9.2, where many of the prereqs are outlined. In addition to DIR-F, you'll also need to be either Tech 1 or Cave 1 qualified prior to attending your first DIR-F internship. From there, a qualified mentor may recommend you for a DIR-F ITC. And that's when the real work starts :).

More info is available at:
http://www.gue.com/classroom/instructor/index.shtml

A list of mentors is available at:
http://www.gue.com/classroom/instructor/mentor.shtml

Feel free to ask any questions,

Joe Talavera II
GUE instructor # 50040

MHK:
Michael Kane
GUE Instructor 5027

joe_at_subtidal:
Joe Talavera II
GUE instructor # 50040

Alright... what's the secret decoder ring for GUE instructor numbers. They certainly aren't sequential. Do you add up the digits or something? Mike is really instructor number 14 and Joe is number 9? Or do they reflect the number of cups of coffee you had to fetch while you were a lackey... er, I mean intern? :wink:

cornfed:
Alright... what's the secret decoder ring for GUE instructor numbers. They certainly aren't sequential. Do you add up the digits or something? Mike is really instructor number 14 and Joe is number 9? Or do they reflect the number of cups of coffee you had to fetch while you were a lackey... er, I mean intern? :wink:
I dunno for instructors, but it would appear that with certification cards there is a definite system.

7 digits, first 4 are the date of the class and the last three are probably sequential.

Example 0703578 (class taken in July 03, so card number 578).

I think that's how the c-cards work anyway..

cornfed:
The last 2 numbers are the instructor #, [I think] :crafty:
CG

Does anyone know the approximate total number of GUE instructors qualified to teach at above the DIR-F level? How many at the DIR-F only level? I am trying to get an idea of the size of the agency, but full well realize it will be tiny compared to PADI.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom