Question How to attach stuff to lights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Explain it to me like I am 5! I have a shiny new dive light (Orcatorch D550) and the kit comes with a wrist lanyard and a bolt snap. What is the best way to attach both of these items? Is attaching the bolt snap to the lanyard just begging to lose the light? Should I use a split key ring to attach the bolt snap? Do I need to worry about the material of the key ring? Do I need to worry about the lanyard being loose?

I've used a dive light exactly once before and it was borrowed and I kept it on my wrist.

What is it that you are actually trying to achieve? The boltsnap will keep the torch attached to you while you're not using it, and the cord lock on the lanyard will keep it tight on your wrist when you are.

Explain it to me like I am 5! I have a shiny new dive light (Orcatorch D550) and the kit comes with a wrist lanyard and a bolt snap. What is the best way to attach both of these items? Is attaching the bolt snap to the lanyard just begging to lose the light? Should I use a split key ring to attach the bolt snap? Do I need to worry about the material of the key ring? Do I need to worry about the lanyard being loose?

I've used a dive light exactly once before and it was borrowed and I kept it on my wrist.

I prefer tackling with cave or spear fishing line. When I use that way bolt snap also work as pistol grip and allows me to maintain more natural hand position.

5D8968D1-2C77-47A2-8A5F-F46082363FB5.jpeg

The problem with such gloves is that you can’t easily move the light to the other hand, thus having the beam waving wildly about when you need to use your left hand for anything except holding the light.
You could just use it on your right hand...

That way your left can, add air, check air, and you can light up the computer on the left arm....

Watch out with masonry line, its usually not nylon,

That just assumes you'll never want to use your right hand for anything, in addition to not being able to watch your depth while you're adding or releasing gas. Sometimes you just need to be able to move your light from hand to hand in order to avoid waving it around while doing something else.

Watch out with masonry line, its usually not nylon,

Most is now, so the line won't be cut if hit with the edge of a trowel. The old cotton line, before nylon was invented and used on line, is only used on chalk lines now. Of course reading the package will solve the issue.

That just assumes you'll never want to use your right hand for anything, in addition to not being able to watch your depth while you're adding or releasing gas. Sometimes you just need to be able to move your light from hand to hand in order to avoid waving it around while doing something else.
Yep you're right,!!
but normally I leave it on my right, then I hardly ever need to move it..

Everyone that's dir says I will blind my buddy with it in the right hand donating.
But i have found it a non issue,
And I would rather have a light that doesn't fall off my hand when I open it,
(I and not a fan of Goodman handles)

Also I have just got my first shearwater and I don't even need to light it up anymore... only my backup computer

Use the masonry line from home depot in your choice of 4 or 5 bright colors to attach the boltsnap. Then attach the boltsnap to a gear keeper off your left shoulder strap. It hangs ready to use and if you must let go it dangles harmlessly below you not blinding your buddies. That way works great for me when I have my camera rig with lights on. Use the main light for the dive, let go when I see something worthy of video or pics, go back to the main when done. I don't wash out my photos or needlessly have things attached to my hands.

The problem with such gloves is that you can’t easily move the light to the other hand
I've found the Oxycheq very easy to move and quite stable without using the bungee that goes around the wrist. You're right, though, the majority are a pain to move. (The ones with a thumb hole are the worst.)

I carry two lights for warm water recreational diving, but prefer to keep them stowed and my hands/wrists free when not in use. I don't like having bits of cord dangling, so I ditch the lanyard.

As you mentioned, I use a titanium or stainless split-ring to attach the bolt snap. The primary is clipped to a harness D-ring with a silicone loop or bungie as a retainer against the left shoulder strap. My backup is clipped inside an accessory pocket on my waistband. I might reconfigure things slightly to suit the conditions (night dive, etc.), but this generally works well for the majority of the diving I do.

Hope this is helpful.

Attachments

• IMG-6666.jpg
    IMG-6666.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 76
Yeah I use the nylon line off a thumb spool. The only thing I do differently is instead of burning the ends , I put a couple drops of Crazy Glue on the centre of the knot. Once you figure out how to tie it , you can use the same technique for an SPG or Reg or basically anything you need to put a bolt snap on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom