How to assemble DSMB / spool with line swivel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Look ma no hands!"

Even loose like this, no come off

View attachment 681994

These guys never ever ever fall off to the bottom of the ocean

and here is how it is done i'ts one loop twice around the spool

View attachment 681995

And, with one clip to the Dee ring on the right or the Dee ring on the left, just depending on which is at the time right

Can someone tell me please where the drillers get all that time for drilling when there's barely enough time for diving

@happy-diver As you are already using a double-ender, what is the purpose of the single bolt snap/metal d-ring/shackle?

I noticed you have a spool, not a reel in your picture, so I attached a link to a video on how I basically set mine up. Other than that, I put the swivel at the depth I generally use for a safety stop.

Also, as I do not use my spool for anything other than deploying my SMB, I attach the SMB permanently to the loop.

I like that video!

Honestly the more I dive, the more things DIR recommends make sense. Like the right D-ring, I have one on all my backplates, I thought it was nonsense. But now I never use it because it gets in the way of donating my long hose. I'll probably replace it with my the mock canister stick that I have.
Where are you reading about DIR recommendations?

My DSMBs are attached semi-"permanently" to very tiny spools, with about 20ft (6m) of line. The idea is I can deploy it, and hang out at safety-stop depth, even if my computer craps out & I'm a little disoriented.

I want to make that process as simple as possible. Pull out DSMB and open up, grab spool, inflate, and launch. When you're narc'd, tired, dehydrated, cold, gloves, disoriented by equipment, or potential mild emergency .... the last thing I want to deal with is finding two items, ensuring I clip them together correctly, fumble with line, watch my computer for depth, avoid dropping things, deal with tangled line, etc.

I also have a separate 90ft spool, which I could always attach fairly easily if needed.
That's really smart about having one attached and ready to go for an emergency. I'm going to look into doing this. Thanks.

I put the swivel at the depth I generally use for a safety stop.

That’s a pretty good idea. I came here looking for info on whether or not these swivels are a good idea in general, because they seem kind of flimsy. They would be useful when rewinding a line to try and keep the twist out of it but that’s about it.
My recently purchased spool has flat line on it and rewinding it is a PITA.

In your experience is the swivel as strong and trustworthy as any other part of the line? Or should I do away with it?

The Swivel itself represents a failure point that can/should be eliminated (if one is concerned with failure points).
Thank you. Came here to find people’s opinions on keeping the swivel on my line.

That depends upon how you wrap your line on your ascent. The two techniques I use does not cause the line to turn or twist.
Can you share please? I’m new to spools and have recently bought one online, which arrived with flat line. PITA to rewind properly.

Edit: nvm I jumped the gun. I saw your post above :)

I do a version of what happy-diver posted, just with the loop that is after the swivel. Thread normally through the tiny DSMB d ring, then pass a loop through one of the holes in the spool and grab it with the double ender:
3DB04757-C346-4CAF-9CF4-A02DAFD21DA7.jpeg

It is not Apeks, just a generic brand sold at a Cozumel dive shop. Probably made in China. It was the only spool they had with the length I needed… I had never worried about the swivel failing. Until right now reading this thread!!

I do a version of what happy-diver posted, just with the loop that is after the swivel. Thread normally through the tiny DSMB d ring, then pass a loop through one of the holes in the spool and grab it with the double ender:
View attachment 718955

It is not Apeks, just a generic brand sold at a Cozumel dive shop. Probably made in China. It was the only spool they had with the length I needed… I had never worried about the swivel failing. Until right now reading this thread!!
Is it possible for the line to slip through the boltsnap at certain angles?

Cave divers — amongst many others — put a twist and wrap on their boltsnaps to prevent this.

Is it possible for the line to slip through the boltsnap at certain angles?

Cave divers — amongst many others — put a twist and wrap on their boltsnaps to prevent this.
I haven’t figured out how to wrap it while keeping it tied up to the DSMB. Is there a standard way to that?

Back
Top Bottom