How thick for Caribbean...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you for your replies!

I'm going to go with a 5mil. It really seems to vary from person to person and I seem to get cold very easily - and we'll be doing multiple dives daily for 10 days... Better a bit warm gearing up than uncomfortable/unsafe in the dive!

Steph

That sounds like good logic.

Give some consideration to taking a break in the middle of that stretch. 10 days of intensive vacation diving can take a toll in ways other than thermal. A day away from compressed gas in the middle would do a lot for safety.

Pete

I love the layered approach because I can dive comfortably two or three times in a day in pretty much anything from 45*F on up. I have a polyolefin dive skin that is the equivalent of 1-1.5mm insulation, a 3mm FWS, a 3mm shortie, 5mm booties, 2mm and 7mm hoods, 1mm and 5mm gloves, and a 7mm FWS. I charted out what combinations to wear based upon my experience in temps ranging from 45*F to 84*F, anticipated water temps and expected consecutive days of diving (oh no, I'm not analytical or anything).

For anything under 50*F I wear the skin, the 7mm, the shortie over, and the thick hood/gloves. Below 45*F, I stay the h$%# out of the water because I'm not ready to buy a drysuit.

For anything over 84*F I just wear the skin.

Any combination in between has its own 3-5 degree range.

If diving two or more days in a row, I add another layer.

My wife's temperature tolerance is close to mine. She adds another layer about 5 degrees before I do. My daughter's tolerance is zip probably because she's in the water year round (open water competitive swimmer and absolutely no body fat). We're still figuring out what she needs.

Full 5mm jumpsuit and a 3mm beanie , you will be good to go on multiple dives daily , only took me 20 years to figure that formula out . Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom