Question How old are you and how long certified? Poll- please take part!

How old are you and how long certified?

• 10-18

Votes: 13 1.3%
  • 19-29

Votes: 81 8.4%
  • 30-39

Votes: 153 15.8%
  • 40-49

Votes: 199 20.5%
  • 50-59

Votes: 231 23.8%
  • 60-69

Votes: 213 22.0%
  • 70-79

Votes: 72 7.4%
  • 80-89

Votes: 6 0.6%
  • 90 and over

Votes: 1 0.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was certified LA County in 1963, and since I'm a December baby, I was 17 years old at the time. But realize that I had already been diving for 3 years on scuba before becoming certified. This was in Salem, Oregon and we had to import a scuba instructor, Roy France, from Los Angeles to get certified, as there were no instructors in the area at the time.

SeaRat

Attachments

• LA County Certification001.jpg
    LA County Certification001.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 27
  • LA County Certification002.jpg
    LA County Certification002.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 39
  • Vintage John2.jpg
    Vintage John2.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 30
In the 30-39 bracket, got certified in Aqaba back in 2013, properly back at it again now after a very long layoff in 2022.

60’s, 30+ years diving, 1000+ dives, warm water, plenty of dive travel…having fun :):bounce::bounce::bounce::clearmask:

63, 2,500 ish, dive 3-4 times per week. Diving for over 33 years

There’s another thread about old fart divers over 50, which spurred the question about the possibility of most of the divers on SB being over 50.
So I’m just curious to see what the age makeup of divers is here.
You can elaborate if you wish about age, how long you’ve been certified, how many dives, what type of diving, any other details you have to make it interesting and a good read.
Certified in 1996, around 900-1,000 dives - I stopped counting in 1999, when my logbook (yes, children, it had pages made of actual paper!) showed 173. Mostly stopped scuba for a while and generally went freediving except for the odd holiday dive (kids and all that), got my son certified when he was 10, we‘ve been diving together since 2014. Definitely old fart territory for me, I‘d say.

Survey says…. Old guys dive.
Could be a lot of reasons why, but I am leaning towards the fact that most of the easily accessible reefs in the world today look like crap!
If your first vacation dive is not a great experience then you will probably not pursue the Hobby further.
Jeez I remember some reefs in the Caribbean that I dived in the 1980s that were really nice looking. Fast forward to today and they are 80% dead.

Back
Top Bottom