How often do tank valves need to be rebuilt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jwalko

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all:

I have a tank that is due for a hydro. It is the first hydro, as the tank was mfg in 2008. The dive shop is telling me that with a hydro, it is required that the tank valve be rebuilt.

Is this some new rule...or are they just trying to up-sell me?

I called the local fire extinguisher place,who does hydro-testing, and they didn't mention anything about rebuilding the valve. The only reason I'm thinking of having the dive shop do the hydro (which they sub out anyway...they don't do it in-house) is because the fire-extinguisher place can't do a viz at this time (their inspector's cert expired). Having the dive shop do the hydro would save me a trip.

I don't mind having it rebuilt if it is necessary, but I hate being upsold just so they can tack on some extra charges. So...is it necessary?

Thanks;

John

That's kind of what I thought. I may just go to the fire extinguisher place and deal with the viz later.

Thanks;

John

I take the valves off my tanks when I send them in for hydro. From what I've seen, that's what most people do here.

Required by whom? All of the valve manufactures recommend that a valve be serviced annually(I think because it is CYA). Personally, I do it every year, and at the same time O2 clean them because it is easy, and the parts are easy to come by. If it is "required" by the dive shop, fine, as a private entity, they can do that but risk losing customers. If they say it is required by law, then ask them to show you in writing. I have run 2 hydro shops and rebult many valves, but I am unaware of where a annual rebuild is "required". As a hydro tester, I do recommend that every hydro, replace the neck and face orings, and the burst disk.

I have to agree, probable money grab here. Some thoughts. If they are nitrox tanks and the shop enforces the >23.5% needs the o2 cleaning then that applies to the valve also. If you ask 10 people you will get at least 4 answers. When a vis is done on the tank the valve is also supposed to be inspected for sutibility and the burst disk correct. I have avoided the issue by removing the valve at home and putting a plug in the tank when sending them off for hydro. I do not know if a valve inspection is part of the hydro but prior to the hydro it is supposed to pass a vis inspection. The valve is part of the vis. If no valve is presented then no valve is inspected.

Hi all:

I have a tank that is due for a hydro. It is the first hydro, as the tank was mfg in 2008. The dive shop is telling me that with a hydro, it is required that the tank valve be rebuilt.

I called the local fire extinguisher place,who does hydro-testing, and they didn't mention anything about rebuilding the valve. The only reason I'm thinking of having the dive shop do the hydro (which they sub out anyway...they don't do it in-house) is because the fire-extinguisher place can't do a viz at this time (their inspector's cert expired). Having the dive shop do the hydro would save me a trip.

I don't mind having it rebuilt if it is necessary, but I hate being upsold just so they can tack on some extra charges. So...is it necessary?

Thanks;

John

I only rebuild tank valves when they go bad. It is not necessary to rebuild them unless A. You are O2 Cleaning them for the first time, or B. They have started to fail.

Thanks, everyone for the answers. This is a newer tank, and has only been dove a hand full of times (maybe 40 dives on this tank). I suspected they were just trying to get me to purchase something else.

John

Hi all:

...snip...

I can't address their motivations but there are moving parts and O-rings in the tank valves and I make a point of getting mine serviced when I hydro my tanks. It's not a rule, it's a good idea.

R..

I only rebuild tank valves when they go bad. It is not necessary to rebuild them unless A. You are O2 Cleaning them for the first time, or B. They have started to fail.

That's kind of like waiting to do an oil-change on your car until warning lights come on.

Maybe it will help the OP to know what's involved in servicing a tank valve. It's a matter of emptying the tank and removing the valve (obviously), unscrewing the retaining nut that holds the handle on, using a tool to remove the moving parts from the inside of the handle mechanism, ultra-sounding them, replacing a couple of o-rings and lubricating/cleaning. depending on whether or not the valve needs to be O2 clean there are variations in what needs to be done, and then to reassemble it all and put it back on the tank with a new tank O-ring.

The whole operation can be done in 5-10 minutes, which should give you some idea of the price they should be charging your for it.

Here is a picture of the innards of a K-valve so the OP can get some visual idea of what we're talking about.

R..

K valve.jpg

Back
Top Bottom