How often do tank valves need to be rebuilt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I remember having to deal with a leaking tank (bubbles coming from the threaded opening that the valve screws into), and the guy who helped me had some form of silicone grease that was thicker than the regular type you might use for an o-ring, more the consistency of petroleum jelly. I can't remember the name of that product and wondered if any of you guys know of a brand to shop for?
Hmm. This one could be a bit scary, as a couple of posters have already mentioned.

On one hand, I have had some older (e.g. steel 72s) cylinders that I have VIP'd which came in 'empty' - i.e. they were at ambient pressure - and then bubbled around the cylinder neck after filling (and cylinder neck O ring replacement, which we automatically do with a VIP). In those cases, a thorough cleaning of the valve gland addressed the problem. Cylinder neck threads were (by appearance) in good condition, the valve tightened appropriately when installed, there was just a trickle of bubbles under pressure.

But, while I guess I can see how some would consider it practical to apply a 'putty' to stop the leaks, I would not do it on my own cylinders, nor would I recommend it to anyone else. (Frankly, for whatever reason, the notion of applying a grease or putty brings to mind some testimony I vividly recall being presented by Lawrence Mulloy during the Challenger disaster inquiry). If the cylinder is leaking around the neck, I agree with halocline and others - address the problem (O ring, corrosion, neck thread issues, whatever), or don't use the cylinder.

The scary part is that you could have a damaged valve, or cylinder cracks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom