How much will it cost to service myself my regs ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For the record i have 15% discount for this period discound coupon : scuba15off
The product range is increasing according to your needs so feel free to inform me for any o-ring size that you need and i don't have it, and i will look in to that in order to have it available for you in the future.

Will you stock any metric O rings for the Aqualung/US Divers SEA/Cousteau/Supra? Cheers.

I've been servicing my own regs for several years now...eight of them. A trained friend walked me through the first few. I took pictures and notes. I also got the service manuals. I have an ultrasonic cleaner because all my regs get O2-cleaned, a Magnehelic gauge for measuring the cracking pressure, and after screwing around with inconsistent analog gauges I finally got a Dwyer digital gauge for setting IP. I have all the tools for my regs, and have made some of them (it helps to have a lathe and mill in the basement). I have dedicated wrenches and such for regulator service in a separate clean tool box, so they don't mix with the ones I use to work on cars and other random stuff.

All these investments have more than paid for themselves, but that's not the only thing to consider. There is a learning curve, and bad things can happen if you don't do it right. So here are my two cents: If you do a decent amount of other mechanical stuff on a regular basis, learning to service scuba regulators is not that big a deal. But if it takes you longer than 2 seconds to figure out how to set a ratchet to CW or CCW rotation, or if you don't understand what kind of tool will or won't scratch an O-ring gland and why, or terms like durometer sound arcane, "other activities beckon." It can be cheap insurance to pay someone else that knows what they're doing, and when you service your own gear you assume more responsibility--and risk.

All these investments have more than paid for themselves, but that's not the only thing to consider. There is a learning curve, and bad things can happen if you don't do it right. So here are my two cents: If you do a decent amount of other mechanical stuff on a regular basis, learning to service scuba regulators is not that big a deal. But if it takes you longer than 2 seconds to figure out how to set a ratchet to CW or CCW rotation, or if you don't understand what kind of tool will or won't scratch an O-ring gland and why, or terms like durometer sound arcane, "other activities beckon." It can be cheap insurance to pay someone else that knows what they're doing, and when you service your own gear you assume more responsibility--and risk.

I understand. I was suggested to take one of these courses:
Training Courses
for sure it will be totally interested and I will be well trained.
but my intentions are to service my own gear and be able to deal/understand most of issues I can encounter (and fix it).
maybe it would be better to consider to join a Dive Center to get a sort of money back from those courses fees.

It's UK based I have no idea if this will be recognized in my country.

I understand. I was suggested to take one of these courses:
Training Courses
for sure it will be totally interested and I will be well trained.
but my intentions are to service my own gear and be able to deal/understand most of issues I can encounter (and fix it).
maybe it would be better to consider to join a Dive Center to get a sort of money back from those courses fees.

It's UK based I have no idea if this will be recognized in my country.

It is not only about training. My point is that if you don't use tools pretty routinely, your fingertips won't tell your brain when things are wrong if you only pick them up once a year to service a few regulators. I know mechanical engineers that don't know what end of a combination wrench to use, and electrical engineers that don't know which end of a soldering iron to hold. I also know people both with and without engineering degrees that pick up a tool at least once a day without fail, and who know when things are wrong from feel, appearance, smell, and sound. Somewhere on this spectrum is a level of experience and perhaps aptitude that makes servicing your own life support gear not only less expensive, but less expensive and a good idea. OK, so now I've put in USD .04, so I'll stop here.

Other tools will be purchased or/and I might consider to candidate for a Technicien position somewhere. I just asked today to a Dive Shop and their technicians made courses from brand (Aqualung, Scubapro etc) I sended him the course weblink and he just discover it. But this was not the path I wanted to go - then after all why not ?

But I totally understand your point of view. If I do serve only my regs (1 / 2 times per year) course feees + testing tools + service kit I might feek it is a "waste" money and I will not have enough experiences to deal correctly with it. Applying to a Dive Center Technician Staff and get a job can be a solution - this will help me to improve, service a lot of regs / gear and money invested into courses will be back. I'll be happy - my own gear will be happy.

Thanks for your USD .04 I appreciate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom