How much will it cost to service myself my regs ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I service hundreds of regulators a year....Not all brands or even all models in a brand. I've refused to service plenty of regulators that the customer had a different idea of what service is compared to my idea of what it will be if I do it. I've never been above asking my peers for advice if I get in a bind. I'm far from perfect but it's not for a lack of caring about the customer.

I've refused to service plenty of regulators that the customer had a different idea of what service is compared to my idea of what it will be if I do it. I've never been above asking my peers for advice if I get in a bind. I'm far from perfect but it's not for a lack of caring about the customer.

Can you elaborate what you said ?

I've refused to service plenty of regulators that the customer had a different idea of what service is compared to my idea of what it will be if I do it.

That part.

That part.
Some customers are what I'll nicely call Thrifty or Economical...They ask to reuse parts or ask for just a tune up or other garbage like that. I either do it soup to nuts or not at all.
When I get a regulator in for service I look it over, give you a price and turn around time and thats it. If it needs additional parts or extra time that I didnt take into account when I gave you a price then thats my fault and I dont charge you for the mistake on my part.

Alright I understand now I was not sure how to interprete your sentence.
This is a strange behaviour indeed. This is like when you repair your car and reuse old parts from someone else car or cleaning up and say it's working after all. Strange lol.

I've no problems with paying a talented technician for sure - but as I am more a DIY guy (I help some friends to fix their car or doing basic maintenance myself) I wonder if doing myself my reg service will not be that hard? Some Youtube video exists, technical maintenance manual are published, some divers could share some tips or where to found parts/tools. Service Kit can be purchased such as other tools and I am totally open to enroll a tech course.

What I am looking for is to be ready in case of ... if some days I do not want to service my regs I'll meet with pleasure a technician. if some days I have a problem in Friday I can fix it at night and be ready to dive Sathurday without to wait Monday and "waste" a weekend full of dives.

100 dives / 1 year deal will be respected for sure this is just X * Service x years and I hope to have a long life of diving. Save somewhere else money if I can cheaply / seriously service my regs would be great. Money will go into more diving.

Please feel free to correct me if my behaviour is strange / dangerous.

Thank you guys. This is the price I saw. This can seriously be reduced by buying multiples o-rings but it's hard to found the specific size. The website I saw at 0.48€per o-rings requires to be tech certified. But I found similar price. 30 max for both stage.

Service kit, ultrasound cleaner, disinfectant cleaner, tools it's okay but what about electronic testing?

Which LDS I can ask to enroll a tech certified course? In Europe I found nothing or I search wrong.

The service kit for the first stage does not only contain O-rings but also a membrane and other parts. It would be better to buy a complete kit and replace everything.

Last edited:
Well I have no idea how much dives I will make each year but once I'm on the run I can make 2-4 per weeks. I have warm water here (but freaking bad weather...most of time) but a minimal of 100 dives / year would be possible (at least 50 /6month -this is like 2 minimum dives /week) I hope to regularly do that. Of course I would like to dive more. 4 per week it's already 200 dives (except meteo weather conditions)

Doing 200+ dives per year it's 2x Service, Am I right ?
Diving in Doubles would make 2x reg set, 4x 80-100 € per year around max 400 € into Servicing my regs, and I don't forget of course Cylinders, Drysuits or anyother gear. Count that per X years of diving..

I seriously prefer to put 1000$ into a Tech course to be officially certified for years, buying required tools and doing stuff myself.
- I will not need to hire a professionnal - of course I will not have the experience of a Tech doing 100 regs/ year but...
- I will not need to travel by car (hundreds km) if my favorite shop is not close to where I am right now
- I will not be afraid to ship my regs and hope that one get stolen
- I will not need to shorten a trip if I got a problem Friday and need to wait Monday 'cause I failed to fix myself for the weekend
- I will be ready to be aware of any issues / failures and fix it my own
- Buying Service Kit / Parts it's pretty cool you get more responsabilities in taking care of your gear

Service Kit for a set is around 30 € both 1rst/2nd stage
Ultrasound / Desinfectant cleaner must not be more than 100 € with consummables
Related tools to perform repair guess not more than 100 €
Expensive tools much be the testing parts.
must found something here : Scuba Tools

I am totally agree to take some Tech course but conditions need to be working for a LDS / Dealer shop or be an Instructor. I'm searching I found nowhere in Europe where a "simple" diver can enroll a Tech course.

http://www.apeksdiving.com/uk/faqs.html

Why would you service your first stage every 100 dives ? Apeks says first stage every 2 years or when intern pressure is not ok.

@barth

This is what I made yesterday.
I checked replacable part number with a technical manual.

For Tek3 / XTX50
http://prntscr.com/frc326

I read somewhere after each 100 dives or 1 year. In fact in most LDS this is because they maybe want to be sure to have consumers.

What's happen if an instructor run 1 000 dives / 2 years it's bit a lot no ?

Last edited:
@barth

This is what I made yesterday.
I checked replacable part number with a technical manual.

For Tek3 / XTX50
http://prntscr.com/frc326

I read somewhere after each 100 dives or 1 year.
What's happen if an instructor run 1 000 dives / 2 years it's bit a lot no ?

When the internal pressure is ok and the first stage is not leaking I think it is not a problem.

To be honestly, I think I only use one first stage during the dive. Only the right one. I do use 2x12 or 2x18 liter doubles. Even after 4 years of diving my right first stage was still working.

It's up to you. I did had problems at regulators within a year. And sometimes I did use my regulator for 4 year after the maintenance . Every dive I do a bubblecheck and before a trip I check internal pressure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom