How much will it cost to service myself my regs ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have serviced my own regs in the past but I get them done by an experienced tech these days. My thinking is that if I do 3 or 4 regs a year I'm never going to be as good at it as someone who does 100 regs a year.

R..
but you may care more.....

Hello.

I am curious to know which kind of products I will need to buy to service myself my regs ?
Right now average price is around 80-100$ for a complet set - I do plan to dive soon Doubles and Sidemount who will be around 200 $ max for a Twin set /100dives or 1year. 5 years it will be close to 1 000 $ in servicing my regs.

What kind of ultrasound cleaner do you use ?
Which tools do you have ?
Where do you buy parts for Scubapro / Apeks regs ?
Apeks : scubaspares
1rstStage Kit : 28 € Apeks 1. Stage Kit - Deepstop GmbH
2ndStage Kit : 13 € Apeks 2. Stage Kit - Deepstop GmbH

Kit repair should be hard to found or do there are any good online store ?

Is it a good deal to service myself or still better to let a tech doing it ?

Thanks

i bought one of the magnasonic cleaners off amazon. was 40 to 50.

other than tools i already had, i got two of the pin spanners to do the environmental seal end cap and a tube of christolube. about 70 total. if you don't have a torque wrench, ip gauge, oring pick, and a hex and socket set, you will need that. the first stage holder can be useful, but i just used a threaded hex rod.

i buy my parts off ebay or dive shops that close, can't get the kits openly in US

No need to service regulator more then 3-5 years... It's being able to check and repair if need.. I had a Conshelf 1st stage go 30+ years before it failed.. And it was a seat failing from Nitrox use we believe..

Jim..

Caring doesn't necessarily make you good at it...

R..

Yes sir, your air your judgement. I'm leary of what goes on behind the curtain. I haven't been impressed by what I see out front. Orders are almost never handled properly and attention to detail is lacking. When it comes to filling tanks and servicing equipment, I'll do my own but then I'm an "if you want it done right, do it yourself" kind of guy. I sure like filling my tanks while I wash and inspect my gear after a dive.

I'm not certified tech but if such course exist in Europe I'm on. If you need to be a dive shop owner I'm afraid I can't.

I'm not certified, but I did service my apeks first stage. It is still working :).

It is easy to buy apeks service kits. First stage service kit costs 20 euro and second stage service kit costs 10 euro.

Thank you guys. This is the price I saw. This can seriously be reduced by buying multiples o-rings but it's hard to found the specific size. The website I saw at 0.48€per o-rings requires to be tech certified. But I found similar price. 30 max for both stage.

Service kit, ultrasound cleaner, disinfectant cleaner, tools it's okay but what about electronic testing?

Which LDS I can ask to enroll a tech certified course? In Europe I found nothing or I search wrong.

Caring doesn't necessarily make you good at it...

R..

And neither does working on 100+/year. Especially when you consider that they are probably not working on 100 of the same make, or model. And there is no telling that they are following the proper procedures. Maybe they are.. And maybe they are not.

Whether you chose to hire a professional, or go the DIY route.. I think every diver should learn to test and trouble-shoot their gear. Learn to recognize typical signs of failure before it creates an in-water emergency.

I have serviced my own regs in the past but I get them done by an experienced tech these days. My thinking is that if I do 3 or 4 regs a year I'm never going to be as good at it as someone who does 100 regs a year.

R..

This is not necessarily true, although I do get your point. Some people that service a few regs/year are definitely better than some that service hundreds. Some that do hundreds are better than some that do a few. It really depends on the ability, understanding, and attitude of the person doing the service. Regulator service, for most regulators, is really not complicated. It does require some care and patience.

Well I have no idea how much dives I will make each year but once I'm on the run I can make 2-4 per weeks. I have warm water here (but freaking bad weather...most of time) but a minimal of 100 dives / year would be possible (at least 50 /6month -this is like 2 minimum dives /week) I hope to regularly do that. Of course I would like to dive more. 4 per week it's already 200 dives (except meteo weather conditions)

Doing 200+ dives per year it's 2x Service, Am I right ?
Diving in Doubles would make 2x reg set, 4x 80-100 € per year around max 400 € into Servicing my regs, and I don't forget of course Cylinders, Drysuits or anyother gear. Count that per X years of diving..

I seriously prefer to put 1000$ into a Tech course to be officially certified for years, buying required tools and doing stuff myself.
- I will not need to hire a professionnal - of course I will not have the experience of a Tech doing 100 regs/ year but...
- I will not need to travel by car (hundreds km) if my favorite shop is not close to where I am right now
- I will not be afraid to ship my regs and hope that one get stolen
- I will not need to shorten a trip if I got a problem Friday and need to wait Monday 'cause I failed to fix myself for the weekend
- I will be ready to be aware of any issues / failures and fix it my own
- Buying Service Kit / Parts it's pretty cool you get more responsabilities in taking care of your gear

Service Kit for a set is around 30 € both 1rst/2nd stage
Ultrasound / Desinfectant cleaner must not be more than 100 € with consummables
Related tools to perform repair guess not more than 100 €
Expensive tools much be the testing parts.
must found something here : Scuba Tools

I am totally agree to take some Tech course but conditions need to be working for a LDS / Dealer shop or be an Instructor. I'm searching I found nowhere in Europe where a "simple" diver can enroll a Tech course.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom