How much will it cost to service myself my regs ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well. For sure I had the same talk until a leak/issue happen a reg can last long time. But everywhere I checked (I edited my previous message) LDS suggests to make after each year or after 100 dives, not many divers make 100 dives per year anyway specially dive tourists who do not run a dive for month and come back in Liveboards without to have their regs serviced. I checked and our "text law" do not suggest to run an annual check.

What kind of tool do you use for internal pressure ?

A simple IP gauge.. they run about $10 bucks.. And you can set the cracking with a clear piece of hose on the mouth piece with markings ... Fill the kitchen sink with water and put the 2nd stage in face plate down and read off the plastic tube the inch mark when then regulator starts to crack.. It's that easy..

Jim..

Thank you guys. This is the price I saw. This can seriously be reduced by buying multiples o-rings but it's hard to found the specific size. The website I saw at 0.48€per o-rings requires to be tech certified. But I found similar price. 30 max for both stage.

Service kit, ultrasound cleaner, disinfectant cleaner, tools it's okay but what about electronic testing?

Which LDS I can ask to enroll a tech certified course? In Europe I found nothing or I search wrong.

IMHO, the first step in DIY regulator service is to pick a regulator that is easy to work on, doesn't require a lot of special tools and has parts availability through official or unofficial sources. Then standardized on that one.

Most second stages can be services using generic o-rings and seats as long as you can match them properly. Most first stages require proprietary seats and diaphragms so a factory kit is required. Although, there are some aftermarket parts available for first stages with long production runs.

An ultrasonic cleaner is not required nor do you need electronic testing equipment. You will need an IP gauge, torque wrench, some manuals and schematics, and maybe some specialized tools for your regulator. You may want other tools to make servicing easier.

You should look at the DIY section of Scubaboard for more information.

There is really nothing special about regulator service... The key is taking care installing the o-rings and not over lubing the damn thing.. Be clean and take your time.. You have a great bunch of people here that love to help if asked nicely.. They do it for the love of the sport.. Even the guys that do it for a living, Will take the time to help you out.. That's why I try and spend my money with them when I do need something..

Jim

@ams511
I am not fixed yet but I'm thinking to go with
Apeks1rst : DS4 or Tek3
Apeks2nd : XTX50

About additional parts - but need to be Technician, double price on other websites
Tek3: scubaspares
DS4: scubaspares
XTX50 : scubaspares

Most O-rings are about 0,48 € or 30 € both Service Kit (better to take Service Kit of course) if bundle o-rings are not available.

Thanks I'm checking that scubaboard section.

@oldschoolto
Right now I am checking if I can found legit (correct size) O'rings and build myself a cheap Service Kit. I counted at least for a Tek3/XTX50 setup there are 22 O-rings + 6 other parts.
This is 44 O-rings + 12 parts for doubles
This is 220 O-rings + 60 parts -- 300 € of Doubles Service Kit for 5 years for x10 Service Kit.
Let's say 0,50 € per O-ring this is 110 € only for O-rings - all of them are differents size.

Last edited:
For any of you interested for O-rings of suunto and oceanic diving computers scuba gaskets has 7 different orings for models like Oceanic F10,Atom,Geo,Bud,OCS,OCI Aeris manta, Epic and suunto zoop novo,zoop old model,C6, ZENDER,C9, D9,Stinger,C1, Spider,C8, D4, D4i in a very competitive prices. Free delivery for all orders over 30 euro.
O-Rings for Diving Computers Archives - Premium O-rings Provider for Scuba Diving

Back
Top Bottom