How much weight?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eccurtis

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My dad's going to start diving in a week and we go on vacation to the riviera maya the week after. He's pretty big... 360lbs and 6 foot, he'll be wearing a 2mm wetsuit, and we weren't sure about the formulas for finding out how much weight he needs. (he'd like to have a general idea)

What would you suggest for holding down this beluga?

Thanks!

I'd expect a bit over 30 lbs. of lead in a 3mm wetsuit. Very wild guess, but without more info, there you go :D

So much depends on what thickness wetsuit he'll be wearing, his size (is he 5'9" or 6'9").... I'm 6'5", 260lbs, and in a 3mm full I use 20 lbs.

He should be able to get a "ballpark" idea when he begins his OW class in a week (if I understood your post correctly, that's what he is doing, then going on vacation?)... if he can figure out correct weighting in the class, just write down the amount of lead and the thickness of wetsuit he used, and then the dive operator should be able to get him weighted properly when you go on vacation.

Safe Diving!

Given your Beluga comment I take it were not talking about a 360 pound hardbody.

30 is as good a guess as any and I agree that it's nothing more than a guess. Establishing this should be part of his training.

Have a great time and wish him luck.

Pete

I've heard rough rule of thumb is 10% of body weight. But of course, skinny folks need less, fat folks need more.

Bring along 40 lbs. Strap on a full tank. Start with 24 lbs or so, and add more till he is sunk just below the surface, or with only the crown of his head above water with a normal breath. Go back up on the boat if you need to, and get the weight distributed well, and add about 6 more lbs to make up for the weight of the air in the tank.

Ideally, he should be check after a completed dive with about 500 psi or so. This way, all the little air bubbles caught in his gear and suit has disappeared. He should be weighted so that standing vertically in deep water, he is just eye level below the surface on a normal mid breath in his lung.

My dad's going to start diving in a week and we go on vacation to the riviera maya the week after. He's pretty big... 360lbs and 6 foot, he'll be wearing a 2mm wetsuit, and we weren't sure about the formulas for finding out how much weight he needs. (he'd like to have a general idea)

Thanks!
Everyone is a little different. I've also heard the 10% rule but that tends to be a little high from everyone I've talked to. The dive operator will tend to over weight divers. Too heavy and you get a bad dive profile. Too light and you have to take time to add weight. A diver operator wants you down and diving fast. They'd rather have you too heavy.

Try for 30 lbs. if the dive operator seems a patient fellow. Go for 36 lbs. if you want to just make sure he goes down.

The formula I've seen suggests starting with 10% of body weight plus or minus for equipment (i.e. add 4 lbs for a 7mil suit, minus for steel tank, etc). Keep in mind, fat in the body is harder to sink than muscle so if he's mostly body fat, I'd definitely start with at least the 10% or even 40 lbs. That way at the end of the first dive, he can hand off a couple lbs to you until he finds the right amount. Then again, I'm a new diver so what the hell do I know?!!! LOL

The 10% of body weight worked out good for me in Salt water using an Aluminum 80 and a 5 mil wetsuit. I'm 6'-0 230lbs. so thats 23 lbs. For Fresh water, same setup, I knocked off 6 lbs, for total of 18 lbs.

On a dive in St. Thomas last year and the dive boat only had a belt with 18 lbs. Since we were in Salt water I was struggling to stay on the bottom. The Dive master swam over and stuffed a couple rocks in my BC. Problem solved. Body mass does make a difference though.

I hoping that as I get into better shape and replace some fat with muscle I will not need as much weight.

another supporter of the "general 10% rule", it weights me about perfectly. 6' 180, 8 lbs with STA SS plate, and 10lbs on a belt. Diving an AL80 and a FJ 7mm I sink well to start, and can hold a stop w/o much effort. I'm actually hitting a pool tonight with my new TLS350 so am sure I'll have to play with weight some. And to each his own, but to echo what harleyxx said, I would be a big supporter of your dad using entry into diving as motivation to get in better shape. at 6' 360 lbs It would be a shame for his diving career to be cut way short due to health problems.

I've heard rough rule of thumb is 10% of body weight. But of course, skinny folks need less, fat folks need more.

Bring along 40 lbs. Strap on a full tank. Start with 24 lbs or so, and add more till he is sunk just below the surface, or with only the crown of his head above water with a normal breath. Go back up on the boat if you need to, and get the weight distributed well, and add about 6 more lbs to make up for the weight of the air in the tank.

Ideally, he should be check after a completed dive with about 500 psi or so. This way, all the little air bubbles caught in his gear and suit has disappeared. He should be weighted so that standing vertically in deep water, he is just eye level below the surface on a normal mid breath in his lung.

Good stuff here! I figure with a 2mm shorty 42lbs. This should be a good guesstimate.:eyebrow: When it's said and done let us know.

Thanks!

With that much weight, you really might check into the DUI weight and trim system DUI - Weight & Trim Systems

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom