How Much Weight For 3mm suits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As we know there are many variables. I found that to get me in the ballpark 10% of bodyweight worked for 7mm full suit, hood, gloves and 5% to work for my 3mm shorty with no hood, gloves etc. Obviously one has to account for any other changes such as fresh to salt (4-7 #'s) changing tanks etc.

I document everything and refer to it when required.

KelpCoasters:
Hi Everyone,

My boyfriend and I are off to Maui at the end of this week.
We normally dive in Monterey with 7mm full suits and 5mm hooded vests, we will however be diving in full 3mm suits in Maui but are unsure of how to properly weight ourselves.

Does anyone know if there is some sort of equation for figuring out our weighting in a 3mm with aluminum tanks?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Kelpcoaster, i dinve a 7mm +7mm vest in Monterey,and need 28lbs with an al80. when i went to maui, i used 14lbs and was weight right in a 3mm full suit..hope that helps you out

SubMariner:
Don, with all due respect, there is no magic formula that is 100% accurate because there are many variables, not the least of which is how much air the diver is holding in h/h lungs a the time they do the buoyancy check. New divers tend NOT to completely exhale, which is the reason why as they become more experienced, they require less weight to become neutrally buoyant.

The main thing is that a diver do a buoyancy check & update it periodically so that they can be properly weighted & trimmed.

You're right - there is no magic formula. But there is an procedure which is accurate. Novice divers will adjust as they become more comfortable in the water and their breathing, and hence their weighting, will change.

But why start with a crude approximation when the right procedure is simpler and straightforward?

I'm 6'5, 225 with a XXL 3mm full suit, hood and boots, Al80's and dive with 16# but started at 20# and dropped weight as I found I didn't need it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom