How much training is required for hyperbaric pressure chamber treatment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ssssnake529

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I've noticed that there are some boats that have their own pressure chambers for treating DCS. I suppose this makes sense if you are diving in a remote location, where access to shore based treatment is not feasible.

It makes me wonder how much training is required to treat someone in such a chamber. I am curious what sort of person is required to operate the chamber.

What sort of training is standard to treat DCS in a chamber?

I've noticed that there are some boats that have their own pressure chambers for treating DCS. I suppose this makes sense if you are diving in a remote location, where access to shore based treatment is not feasible.

It makes me wonder how much training is required to treat someone in such a chamber. I am curious what sort of person is required to operate the chamber.

What sort of training is standard to treat DCS in a chamber?
As an operator (working under the direction of a hyperbaric physician) you're looking at about a week's worth of time

So a hyperbaric physician would be required staff too?
These boats must have large crews if their hyperbaric chamber (which hopefully is never used) needs an M.D. and an operator for the chamber.

These boats must have large crews if their hyperbaric chamber (which hopefully is never used) needs an M.D. and an operator for the chamber.
Physician as medical director, on contract to diagnose and lay out treatment, by phone. DMT on board with operator/operators.

HBOT is a prescription drug.

Your DCS require a physician to diagnose you and come up with a treatment plan - which can be done via phone or video conference. DCS may not be DCS and could be something else, like a heart attack, or pulmonary embolus or myriad of other differential diagnoses. A crewmember can be trained as an operator, in fact you might need more than one crewmember trained as an operator. So that for a long treatment plan of HBOT they can work in shifts.

As an operator (working under the direction of a hyperbaric physician) you're looking at about a week's worth of time

I'd add that that would be the minimum educational requirement. You don't get much hands-on chamber practice in a 40-hour hyperbaric course, so the chamber operator would have to go through some additional practical training in order to become proficient. Also, there would need to be someone physically on the boat with enough medical training to perform a focused physical examination, including a thorough neurological exam.

Best regards,
DDM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom