How much to tip dive masters and boat crew in Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not for me. I'm against the custom really so I need guidelines. I feel bad about how I stiffed Florida DMs and others when I was new to diving. I guess I'll stick to $10 for 2 tanks for cattleboats if I get stuck on one, $15 on small boats when I get good service, and more if I impressed.

Dive with Christi's guys and you will be impressed! :)

It's been a few years since this post has been active, and I'm wondering if recent inflation rates have affected the tip amounts at all. $10 in 2018 is surely not worth nearly as much as $10 in 2022. Anyone have thoughts on tip inflation?

FWIW I have a bad habit of over-tipping, and it has become a running joke amongst my wife and friends because I'll still tip decently (~15% at restaurants) even when the service is bad, but I can't help it. I'm trying to budget for some upcoming dive trips, and tips are always tricky for me because I can't tell if I'm overpaying or being cheap..

I feel like 15-20% of the dive cost for a tip is now becoming standardized, so a 2-tank boat dive in Coz that costs $90 should result in a $15-$20 tip depending on the service. Do you Cozumel veterans think this is appropriate?

I do $10/tank. So $40 per day for the wife and I. I leave a lump sum at the end if warranted as well....

My husband and I tip $10 per tank. Personally, I wish the tip amount was simply added to the base price. A) I cannot stand carrying around the bills in dry bag. B) Customers who are cheap or from countries that do not engage in this practice earn the same benefits, same majestic dive and creature sightings, yet pay far less.

It's been a few years since this post has been active, and I'm wondering if recent inflation rates have affected the tip amounts at all. $10 in 2018 is surely not worth nearly as much as $10 in 2022. Anyone have thoughts on tip inflation?

FWIW I have a bad habit of over-tipping, and it has become a running joke amongst my wife and friends because I'll still tip decently (~15% at restaurants) even when the service is bad, but I can't help it. I'm trying to budget for some upcoming dive trips, and tips are always tricky for me because I can't tell if I'm overpaying or being cheap..
I never know for sure. I once had a NYC taxi driver give me back half of a tip as I'd given him too much - shocker! I hate the way tipping has become so expected, but I play along to an extent. I know a fellow who leaves $4 for the maid in an economy hotel, while I cannot get my daughter to leave $1. I leave a $2 bill.
I feel like 15-20% of the dive cost for a tip is now becoming standardized, so a 2-tank boat dive in Coz that costs $90 should result in a $15-$20 tip depending on the service. Do you Cozumel veterans think this is appropriate?
I guess that's fine. I'm more likely to go for the $15, but I sleep in a $35/night hotel.
My husband and I tip $10 per tank. Personally, I wish the tip amount was simply added to the base price. A) I cannot stand carrying around the bills in dry bag.
Boo on that. Don't you carry your phone and money on boat trips? I guess you could tell the DMs that you'll add his tips to your bill and the Op will give it to him.

My husband and I tip $10 per tank. Personally, I wish the tip amount was simply added to the base price. A) I cannot stand carrying around the bills in dry bag. B) Customers who are cheap or from countries that do not engage in this practice earn the same benefits, same majestic dive and creature sightings, yet pay far less.
Yes, I also wish that the guides, deckhands were paid a reasonable wage, it was included in the cost of diving, and that tipping was not required. This will not happen. I include my tip in my cost of diving. I pay $10 per tank also. There has been no cost of living increase here for many years.

Boo on that. Don't you carry your phone and money on boat trips? I guess you could tell the DMs that you'll add his tips to your bill and the Op will give it to him.
I want my tip to go to the people who earned it that day! Cash on a daily basis is the best way to insure that. Some operators have their own policy for distribution, I follow that when there is one. This may distribute the money fairly, including to office staff, tank crew... Dive Friends in Bonaire operates that way.

It really depends on the DM. The guy that ran out of air, I wasn't inclined to tip as much.
But currently for DM and cap on small boats I am around $15 per tank.

But currently for DM and cap on small boats I am around $15 per tank.
$30 per $80 trip = 37½%. I bet those guys love you. I don't mean to discourage your generosity, I donated over $1,000 to a local food bank during the shutdown, but I'm not going to match that on most trips.

That's a tough subject. Yes, it stands to reason staff's living expenses have gone up, and it's the buying power of money rather than the absolute number on the bill that determines the transfer of value.

But there are other factors in play. Your living expenses probably went up, too. Did your income, particularly discretionary income, go up to a comparable degree? Is it a greater sacrifice for you to part with $13 today vs. $10 in 2018 (I made up the numbers; I don't know what 2018's inflation-adjusted $10 looks like today)?

Also, recall the Law of Unintended Consequences - generous tipping seems over time to foster an attitude of entitlement in the service industry. It seems to me that in restaurants, 10% used to be fine, but then 15% was viewed as 10% had been, and when using a credit card, the automatic suggested amount options now sometimes start with 18%, as though 15% were being a penny-pinching tightwad! And some online articles mention 20% like it's the new 15%!

I'm not opposed to tipping (I'm aware of arguments for it, putting some leverage in the hands of the customer, incentivizing good service with positive rewards), and I like to be in the sweet spot of adequate customary tipping without feeding into 'tip inflation' or running up trip cost to the point I'm discouraged from using that vendor.

One of the things I remind people about weighing costs of a shore diving trip in Bonaire is you don't need to tip boat staff if you don't go on a boat.

Richard.

Back
Top Bottom