Question How much offgas time for pre-workout?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MacDuyver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I’m getting no good google results for this.

I’m starting up an intense lifting cycle and am going to be using nitric oxide Pre workout. How much nitrogen actually gets loaded into muscles with pre-workout?

I figure I’ll give it 24hrs to clear before diving, so I’m more curious than anything else.

I’m starting up an intense lifting cycle and am going to be using nitric oxide Pre workout. How much nitrogen actually gets loaded into muscles with pre-workout?

I figure I’ll give it 24hrs to clear before diving, so I’m more curious than anything else.
I am not a medical professional, but the nitrogen that causes DCS is dissolved inert gas in your blood stream. The bioavailable nitric oxide would not be likely to alter anything enough to cause an issue.

I’m not a physiology genius, but I’m pretty sure the effect of nitric oxide supplements is increasing vasodilation. I suppose it would be concerning if the effects of consuming the pre workout are short term (hours) and as it wears off you experience Vasoconstriction…would be not so great during deco I guess.

I'm sure that the real dive medicine docs and researchers will chime in soon, this is a fascinating can of worms topic. I am not a medical professional but that never stopped anyone on the internet from spouting off so here goes:

I don't know what nitric oxide would do, to be honest I haven't heard of it being used in the context of preworkout supplements. Unless you're breathing large amounts of the gaseous form I doubt it would have any impact on nitrogen loading directly. However it is a vasodilator which could have some serious impacts on diving - altering blood pressure, potentially increasing susceptibility to hypothermia, and changing rates of perfusion (and therefor on/offgassing) to different tissues all could be problematic. And it's a free radical so I would be very cautious if you're doing any kind of diving with high PO2s (deepish nitrox, CCR, deco, etc.) where oxtox is a concern.

If we're talking about breathing strange gasses - I do know that entonox is contraindicated for DCS and makes bubbling worse, (and this is worth mentioning to non-dive-medicine-experienced EMTs if they're carting off a badly bent patient in pain). You could read up on the literature about that which might have parallels. But I think you're talking about a pill not a gas.

Separate from the chemical question, there is a well established understanding that intensive workout after diving promotes bubbling and increases the chances or intensity of DCS. Agitation/musculoskeletal stress/exertion/cardio is like shaking the soda can. It should be avoided. I believe peak bubbling occurs about 30 minutes after the average dive. I try to minimize physical activity after any dive especially around that period. Usually it's unavoidable to immediately climb on the boat in heavy gear or schlep tanks back to a car. In those instances I try to work smarter not harder. I absolutely wouldn't go to the gym, run, or play an intensive sport within a few hours of getting out. Diving in the morning and going to the gym in the evening is probably less of an issue. Working out BEFORE diving is fine.

What is the source of the nitric oxide?

Best regards,
DDM

Reactions: OTF
I had to look up nitric oxide supplements, as I had not heard of them. I know nitric oxide itself is used in some processes. Some random info:

Most nitric oxide supplements don’t actually contain nitric oxide. Instead, they use L-arginine to “enzymatically synthesize nitric oxide in a number of bodily tissues,” Rothstein says.

L-arginine helps the body build protein, according to the Mayo Clinic. Your body usually makes enough L-arginine on its own, and you can get it through foods like fish, meat, beans, and dairy. It also acts as a vasodilator, which means it helps open blood vessels. So, many people take L-arginine for things like erectile dysfunction and to treat heart conditions.

While nitric oxide is essential for vasodilation, research doesn’t necessarily support the claim that L-arginine supplements produce more nitric oxide than normal dietary intake and exercise, Rothstein says.

I'm not a scientist, but I would think none of that has anything to do with nitrogen gas dissolved in body tissues.

I had to look up nitric oxide supplements, as I had not heard of them. I know nitric oxide itself is used in some processes. Some random info:

I'm not a scientist, but I would think none of that has anything to do with nitrogen gas dissolved in body tissues.
I had to do the same thing this morning, I hadn't heard of them until today either. If it's the supplement, there's no nitric oxide in it so there's nothing at all to worry about aside from the deceptive labeling. On the off chance that the OP has gotten hold of some nitric oxide gas there would be more to talk about.

Best regards,
DDM

If it's the supplement, there's no nitric oxide in it so there's nothing at all to worry about aside from the deceptive labeling. On the off chance that the OP has gotten hold of some nitric oxide gas there would be more to talk about.
I always thought NO was a gas, although its been over 45 years since I did biochemistr, and according to Wikipedia it is.

I always thought NO was a gas, although its been over 45 years since I did biochemistr, and according to Wikipedia it is.

It is a gas. Apparently there are some dietary supplements that market themselves as "Nitric Oxide" but don't contain any actual nitric oxide.

Best regards,
DDM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom