How much extra neoprene for repetitive dives on liveaboard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In water of that temperature I would usually dive a 3/2 full wetsuit with a 3mm hooded vest when doing multiple dives. Your mileage may vary.

I tend to be on the chilly side and always wear a 5 mm plus a hooded vest December-March in the Caribbean, including places warmer/further south than T&C. A 3 mm this time of year, even with the hooded vest, would be inadequate for me without extra layers of some sort (I used to have a farmer john/jane set that was okay with my vest). A 7 mm is probably overkill and you have to wear more weight with it, so I prefer the 5. Also, while it's easier to dry off and warm up on a liveaboard, if the wind is blowing as it often is in December, it can add to the feeling of being chilly. I've watched a lot of people shivering on liveaboards because they didn't bring much wetsuit.

My other liveaboard tip is to bring multiple swimsuits. I like to have 4 or 5 bikinis with me so I always have a dry one to put on. I only brought one on my first liveaboard as a novice diver and was sad to have to keep putting on the same cold, clammy suit. Now I just wear a new dry one between dives instead of undies and am always ready for the next dive. Afterward you can loop the wet suit on the railing on the upper deck to dry.

Thanks; I'll definitely bring extra swimsuits! I'm curious though why you think a 7mm would be overkill when you wear a 5mm plus hooded vest? Doesn't that add up to about the same amount of neoprene? In my 7mm (plus hood, gloves, and booties), with a steel backplate and a weighted STA (negative 12 lb. total), I need 6 more pounds of lead with a steel 72 or 8 pounds with an AL-80. Based on this bouyancy calculator, I could take off maybe 2 pounds if I switch to a 5mm: DiveBuddy
But wouldn't a vest require at least another pound or two?

At this point I'm leaning toward bringing my 7mm and leaving my hood at home. I have a love-hate relationship with the hood; it makes chilly water far more comfortable, but it's otherwise a pain in the ass. It makes my hair tangles worse, especially when I remove and replace it several times for repetitive dives, it puts pressure on my jaw, and it makes it really hard to hear people at the surface. If 5mm+ hood or 7mm with no hood are both adequate, I think I'd prefer the latter even if I need to carry a little more weight.

I have a love-hate relationship with the hood; it makes chilly water far more comfortable, but it's otherwise a pain in the ass. It makes my hair tangles worse, especially when I remove and replace it several times for repetitive dives, it puts pressure on my jaw, and it makes it really hard to hear people at the surface. If 5mm+ hood or 7mm with no hood are both adequate, I think I'd prefer the latter even if I need to carry a little more weight.
Something like this can do wonders underneath a 5mm or 3mm wetsuit:
WOMEN'S THERMOCLINE HOODED VEST - Fourth Element Shop
Hooded Vest — Lavacore International
Chillproof Vest with Hood - Womens

The super nice thing is that you don't have to put the hood up and it disappears since it is not neoprene and bulky.

A 2-3 mil flex hooded vest adds a lot of warmth for very small/lightpacking space. Just get one and try it before you go, to make sure size is comfortable around neck. You may only wear it under wetsuit on last dives of the day but it’s good insurance.

^^Yes! A flexible hooded vest rocks. Mine is a 3-5 and very stretchy, which keeps it from feeling claustrophobic when pulling over your head. I thought I would hate it when I got it years ago, but almost always wear it, even in when I don't need the warmth. It's great at keeping my long hair from getting in my face and tangled up.

Thanks; I'll definitely bring extra swimsuits! I'm curious though why you think a 7mm would be overkill when you wear a 5mm plus hooded vest? Doesn't that add up to about the same amount of neoprene? In my 7mm (plus hood, gloves, and booties), with a steel backplate and a weighted STA (negative 12 lb. total), I need 6 more pounds of lead with a steel 72 or 8 pounds with an AL-80. Based on this bouyancy calculator, I could take off maybe 2 pounds if I switch to a 5mm: DiveBuddy
But wouldn't a vest require at least another pound or two?

At this point I'm leaning toward bringing my 7mm and leaving my hood at home. I have a love-hate relationship with the hood; it makes chilly water far more comfortable, but it's otherwise a pain in the ass. It makes my hair tangles worse, especially when I remove and replace it several times for repetitive dives, it puts pressure on my jaw, and it makes it really hard to hear people at the surface. If 5mm+ hood or 7mm with no hood are both adequate, I think I'd prefer the latter even if I need to carry a little more weight.

Oh, sorry I missed this in my last response. My hood is super stretchy and keeps my hair from tangling, but sounds like you have a different relationship with your hood. As for the 5 vs 7 mm question, I guess it's 7 mm all over vs just the added neoprene over the chest/hood that makes me need less weight. Also, my 7 mm has very few dives on it, so it's super puffy and hard to sink and a PITA to get into/out of. If I didn't like my hood, I would probably bring a 7 to ensure I was warm enough. Plus, you already own a 7 mm.

Good point. I'll hold off or make it a warm shower only. I remember learning that, but it's never come up because I've never had a shower or hot tub near the dive site.

Far more important to have warm clothes for between the dives.

As has already been pointed out the answer to this question really depends on what your tolerance to being cold is. The above water conditions will help with this and if it is sunny with little wind you can strip off any exposure protection, which I strongly recommend, and warm up in the sun between dives.

For what it's worth in that temp of water I have dove multiple 4 dive days in a row wearing just a Shark Skin shirt and board shorts and I've have not been cold. Of course the days were sunny, and the surface intervals between dives were 1 hour or more. During the "winter" in Asia, when it is monsoon season I would often wear a 3mm full suit.

Just remember to make sure you've got a sufficient surface interval and strip off the exposure protection between dives. Wearing it can make you lose even more body heat during your surface interval.

Since you never know how your body will do from one trip to the next I recommend:
a 5mil shorty
a hooded vest
a 1-2 mil full suit
a skin.
The vest will always be a good idea- so much heat is lost through the head. The rest you can layer as you please from dive to dive. Also, warm showers are good but so is drinking a hot cup of tea or even heated water to warm you from the inside out.
Hope you have a good time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom