How much did you pay for your new AL80?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KD8NPB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
It has occurred to me that there is a pretty large fluctuation in price and fringe benefits to purchasing the ubiquitous AL80 from your LDS.

So now I have some questions:

Did you purchase your new AL80 online or locally?
If you purchased locally, what city / state?
About how much did you pay for your AL80 w/ tax & shipping?
Was VIP / air fill / O2 clean included?

The big question:
Were there any additional fringe benefits? (Free air for a limited time? Free VIPs? Big coupon for 20% equipment?)

I curious to see what price / promo shops are running.

Well when I first was looking to buy a tank, sports chalet had the A80 in any color for $155 plus 8.75%tax. No free fills.
I went with a steel instead. Bought it at my LDS at their annual sale.

I believe that if you have your tank shipped, it would come in a box with the valve out as most carriers will not transport it if it is filled as it falls into transport of dangerous goods (at least here in Canada) but I think the US has similar rules.

You get free air fills or 50% off nitrox until the end of the calendar year for that cylinder here.(best to buy early season) Can not confirm 2014 price but could get one for $179.00 including VIP, $199.00 for O2 cleaned last year. Prices are Canadian dollars.

I bought online aluminum 40's from divegearexpress and they come oxygen clean from factory.
The difference in price was 159$ each for DGE and $240 from LDS and no free fills or either. So I bought online.

Garth

I bought a pair of two year old AL80s from ebay for $100 shipped. Inicial VIP was $20 each including a nitrox fill. Sold the k-valves and replaced them with thermo pro 200 bar valves (total cost $40)
So for a total cost of $180 I have a pair of really nice AL80s. Not a bad deal.
New tanks are pricey, look in the classified section here or other dive forums.

Cheers

Last new one I got was 125.00 tax included. Last 4 I bought were 75 each with 3 years left on the original hydro. That is the only way I'd buy al80's now. I'd buy used steels first.
As for perks like air fills I'm an instructor. Free fills just about everywhere I go. One place does charge me $3.00 unless I have a class and bring students to rent tanks from him. My fills are then free. I contract with a couple shops for student fills.

I just paid $15 for 3 AL80's. The valves were knackered and had to be replaced. I did a quick VIP to confirm that 2 of the 3 were useable. I had the 2 hydro tested for $20 each and did the VIP myself. I already had spare valves laying around.

$27.50 each is my acceptable price range. :)

I just paid $15 for 3 AL80's. The valves were knackered and had to be replaced. I did a quick VIP to confirm that 2 of the 3 were useable. I had the 2 hydro tested for $20 each and did the VIP myself. I already had spare valves laying around.

$27.50 each is my acceptable price range. :)

Winning! Great deal

Garth

Try scuba flea markets. Sometimes you can get tanks with fresh hydro for a song. I picked up 3 more LP72s last year for $50 total.

Please pardon any typos. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom