How Many Scuba dive by them selfs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Karl_in_Calif once bubbled...
MHK why do you think no pony is needed? Are you assuming no OOA situation would ever occur? Are you assuming that your SPG needle will never get stuck then as well?

I'm not sure where you arrived at the conclusion that I've written that "no pony is needed".. However, I have been on record for a long time speaking out against solo diving, so I'll decline the opportunity to address how if someone is going to do something I completely disagree with, how to go about doing it.. It's a hypothetical that I will not involve myself in..

Regards

DennisS once bubbled...
If you're determined to go solo a "y" or "H" valve with a second regulator might be the way to go for redundancy. Two first and two second stages. You're on your own when it comes to entanglement.

absolutly NOT - you need a completely redundant supply, reg failure is a remote possiblity - tank empty is likely.

don't get yourself into an entanglement situation - if you do get entangled - stop and think before moving. determine where and how you're entangled - you can often figure out where by the change in trim. don't thrash around, move very slowly there's plenty of time to fix the problem - you did have a reserve built into your main didn't you and you still have the bailout to use if you need. about the only time being entanged will kill you is if you panic.

The interesting thought is whether you need a pony if you have a buddy?

And if you have a buddy, and you bring a pony as well, are you not then implying that you do not trust your buddy to be there when needed? :)

The ABSOLUTE MINIMUM is a fully-redundant source of gas sufficient for (1) some problem solving, and (2) an ascent.

Ideally, that redundant source of gas can be taken with you in the event you need to ditch or remove your KIT (which is possible.)

Also, consider that if you have a medical problem underwater, you're probably dead (e.g. heart attack). However, if you have one underwater, you're probably dead anyway, with or without a buddy.

A buddy can kill you just as he can save you (or vice-versa.)

A person in full-blown panic is going to be able to overpower you irrespective of your size differences. Witness the little old ladies that have been known to lift CARS off someone in a panic situation. Will YOUR mask and reg stay in place in the face of such an onslaught of strength? No, they will not.

The choice to dive solo .vs. with a buddy is a serious one. While there are many who preach that buddy diving is the ONLY way to dive, and you'll die if you dive solo, the truth is nowhere near that simple.

Most of those who are opposed to solo diving consider the "spare brain" to be the best defense against an accident. However, since human brains are fallible, and in fact fail to act correctly in an amazing percentage of situations, it can be argued that you are adding significantly to the risk of a dive by using one.

For a new diver, diving solo in a depth that exceeds that from which you can COMFORTABLY make a free, no-gas ascent, and in ANY condition where entanglement is a reasonably-likely risk, is, IMHO, foolish.

Beyond that point you wll have the knowledge and skills, along with the tools, to determine what you need to take with you if you choose to dive solo.

I dive both solo and with buddies, and am an advocate of neither system. It is a choice.

Karl_in_Calif once bubbled...

Solo divers should be expert divers, such as instructors or divemasters. So finish a D/M course at least, first.

Keyboard!

James connell once bubbled...

5) Equipment failure resulting in OOA forcing rapid ascent without a safety stop leading to DCS, with no buddy to share air

why surface under a boat?

Because the people asking for permission to solo dive are the same ones who will surface under a boat.

Genesis once bubbled...

A buddy can kill you just as he can save you

A person in full-blown panic is going to be able to overpower you irrespective of your size differences.

Ahh, the homicidal buddy...

Who the hell are you guys diving with?

Just like buddy divers may unexpectedly find themselfs solo, a solo diver may find an unexpected buddy. If they need help, you will both be better of if you are prepared to give it.

I dive with buddies and I dive solo and my rig doesn't need to change.

Cornfed- Don't understand where you are coming up with this nonsense:

Because the people asking for permission to solo dive are the same ones who will surface under a boat.

I have about 800 solo divers under my helt and have never surfaced under a boat... although I did bump my head on a wreck once.

or

Who the hell are you guys diving with?

Sometimes we are assigned to buddies when on boats who prove to be disasters, or agree to buddy with someone who way overstates their skills. I have had a number of such situations that have led to problems, some serious (for them mostly). I spent 20 minutes looking for a "dead" body of a PADI AOW certified diver and found her on land, dressed and heading out to drink margaritas with some guys she met while I was looking for her. Or the Aussie in Fiji who openly stated he didn't care what the boat rules were... and proved it by heading down past 150 ft before I left him and signalled the DM to get him.

Dr. Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom