How Many Scuba dive by them selfs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kENO

Registered
Reaction score
i was wondering if ther a large number of scuba diver dive by themselves, and if so my question is a second reg the octpus really necessary to have if your diving alone, should i carry a spare air kit or what

Robert Maier wrote a book about solo diving. Its on the DAN book list.

Read it thoroughly, if you are thinking about solo diving.

Solo divers should be expert divers, such as instructors or divemasters. So finish a D/M course at least, first.

Maier has a whole lot of good ideas for configuration and gear. Make sure you study his systems and protocols.

Just my worthless opinion, but for as cheap as they are, and they aren't really in the way at all, it's worth having an octopus--just in case. You might run across someone in trouble, you might end up diving with someone, you just never know. And Karl is absolutely right--you should have a great deal of experience, and the spare air is a given.

kENO once bubbled...
i was wondering if ther a large number of scuba diver dive by themselves, and if so my question is a second reg the octpus really necessary to have if your diving alone, should i carry a spare air kit or what

The question itself says you're not ready to solo dive. I suggest you re-evaluate your reasoning.

And a "spare air" is not a given for anything :rolleyes:

MD

Bluefish once bubbled... you should have a great deal of experience, and the spare air is a given.
You get about as many seconds out of a 1.3cuft Spare Air as you get minutes out of an AL80.

That doesn't give you much time for problem solving.

kENO,

The issue of solo diving has been discussed many times on this board. Many bits of advice, recommendations, opinions, and links to other sites exist in these past threads. Because the people who posted before may not be around to post again, it would be worth your while to take a minute to look at the past threads.

Its easy to do...go to the 'search' button at the top of this page and enter the keywords 'solo diving'. I suspect you'll find a whole bunch of good ideas to consider as you check out those threads.

Regards,

Doc

I solo dive but mainly because I don't have a buddy at present !
I'm also a Newbe and don't carry spare air, but then again I only do shallow shore dives, so what can go wrong?
If I run out of air I would just ascend whilst breathing out !!!!
When I did have a buddy we kept losing each other every five minutes due to poor visibility so it's not a lot different for me diving solo, in fact I find it more enjoyable as I don't have to keep turning around looking for my buddy ,or keep surfacing all the time to reunite !

Safe solo diving requires a great deal of experience as well as a few other personality traits . A DM or Instructors ticket is NO garrentee of being a safe solo diver!
while an octo is of no use to a solo diver ( except in a special case of a very wet or not breathing primary - in which case you should call the dive anyway), a completely redundant air supply is a MUST (if you go below your comfort zone for blow and go - for me ~ 25 ft, i can do it from deeper but i don't want to have to!).
i'm sure a search will turn up a Large number of threads about "spare airs", personaly i think they are more dangerous than not haveing one. a true "bail out" bottle is the best way to go. it should have a sufficient supply of air to not only get you up but to take care of any deco you may need.

MechDiver once bubbled...

The question itself says you're not ready to solo dive. I suggest you re-evaluate your reasoning.

And a "spare air" is not a given for anything :rolleyes:

MD

thanks for your opinons
i'm very careful with diving , and having a buddie to dive with is much better then solo diving anyday but most of everything i do is done solo so naturally diving will be to until my brother passes his class, ive been taking my time learning my equipment and techiques and practicing the tools ive learned in my open water class, i feel very comfortable with being under water which made my class a breeze to go thru, so for the time ive been limiting my diving to the lake no deeper then 20 feet of water, i'm trying to get bouyance down completely before i i take my advance class, but anyways i appreciate your comments...
keno

I've solo dived for more than 30 of my 41 years of diving. Based on a recent experience (see http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37780 ), I would not recommend it to you at this stage. You really need to have sufficient experience, and know how you react to problems, before you will really be ready to do so.

Prior to my recent experience, I would never dive without an octopus (in fact I had one plus an Air 2) and used a pony bottle at depths greater than 60 ft (most of the time). Now I use my pony bottle at depths greater than 40 ft, and shallower if it is already attached.

I was fortunate... my decades of experience helped me survive. However, even given that it could have gone the other way.

Be safe.

Dr. Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom