How many of you don't use a "standard" octo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

but I suggest that you carry a secondary that breathes as well as your primary. You, your buddy, or even a stranger may need it.

Maybe one day I'll actually understand why people think "comfort" is of any importance in an emergency. I've heard that argument used now against any 2nd stage that's not as good as your primary, every octo-inflator ever made, and Sea-Cure mouthpieces.

My octo does NOT breath as smooth or nice as my primary and I DON'T CARE. It breathes well enough to get us to the surface alive and even with a deco or safety stop. I don't see what the big deal is.

-Charles

Nope.... I don't think so..

It is the matter of how it is tuned up, not the stage in itself. The Octo is intentionally detuned to prevent any free flows (more conservative).

Specially in the rec. range (upto 130ft) and low O2 mix (less than 40%), I don't think there can be any difference if it is appropriately tuned up.

I am exclusively using R190 and R380 (non-balanced) as a back up. Please show me what is the difference between R190 Octo and R190 Primary and between R380 Octo and R380 Primary except the cosmetic color?

First of all, I'm a DM on a large boat, and required by the owner to take out any diver who shows a C Card, no matter how many dives they have, and where. I check out ALL my equipment, including secondary reg before every dive. The "isolator" device I referred to is not what we use on a Tech dive. It's a simple shutoff slider that attaches between the reg hose and second stage. Here's an example. No, I'm not diving doubles with novice divers (DUH)

Apeks Freeflow Control Device - eBay (item 280248162256 end time Jul-27-08 08:27:19 PDT)

What is "standard?" Therein lies a problem.

I suggest that you dive a longer hosed primary, surrender it in all circumstances, and then move the the auxiliary of your choice.

99% of the "veteran" or knowledgable reposondents on this board use "non-standard" rigs. i.e. long hose primary, backup on a necklace, all weight due to the 500 lb back plate, etc.... This is all qusi tech and cave diving techniques promoted by the "all mighty" DIR and GUE block ops crowd.

Now I have nothing aginst using techniques that may make your diving safer or that allow you to look like a cave diver, but it's not standard to the mainstream of recreational SCUBA diving.

Where the major group of bubble blowing enthusiasts dive all one needs is a tank, a BC, a first stage with two second stages (per the PADI training program), mask and fins. Everything else and how you set it up is non-standard. Of the major instruction agencies, tell me which ones, other than TDI or GUE, that teach SCUBA using a long hose primary and publish that technique in their manual?

My answer to the original question is: I happened to blindly purchase an old Sherwood Blizzard that had one second stage so I bought a used Brut to put on it as a safe second. For local dives I carry a second cylinder with a redundant regulator setup on it. For travel I just do the "standard" single first stage with two second stages on it.

And sometimes I wear a snorkle :dork2:

99% of the "veteran" or knowledgable reposondents on this board use "non-standard" rigs. i.e. long hose primary, backup on a necklace, all weight due to the 500 lb back plate, etc.... This is all qusi tech and cave diving techniques promoted by the "all mighty" DIR and GUE block ops crowd.

For the clarification, as I know, a long hose and bungee back up wasn't originated from DIR and GUE. It was already there from NACD and NSS-CDs.

First of all, I'm a DM on a large boat, and required by the owner to take out any diver who shows a C Card, no matter how many dives they have, and where. I check out ALL my equipment, including secondary reg before every dive. The "isolator" device I referred to is not what we use on a Tech dive. It's a simple shutoff slider that attaches between the reg hose and second stage. Here's an example. No, I'm not diving doubles with novice divers (DUH)

Apeks Freeflow Control Device - eBay (item 280248162256 end time Jul-27-08 08:27:19 PDT)
A non-standard shutoff device on your auxiliary is asking for trouble. It will be turned "off" at exactly the wrong moment.

Of the major instruction agencies, tell me which ones, other than TDI or GUE, that teach SCUBA using a long hose primary and publish that technique in their manual?

NAUI I believe.

I have been using these for several years now. I have completed entire dives at 100 foot depths with only my Airbuddy and a tank. You can make things complicated or you can just be simple, I like simple. A mouthpiece with a tilt valve, now that is simple and effective. You don't need all that fuss and bother.

Air Buddy

N

It's not effective if you give it to someone and they don't know how to use it and drown...unless you don't like them, then it would be very effective.

It's not effective if you give it to someone and they don't know how to use it and drown...unless you don't like them, then it would be very effective.
Give them your primary and use the auxiliary of your choice (airbuddy or otherwise). Why is that concept, that simplifies everything, so hard for folks to accept?

BTW, I tested the airbuddy back before they introduced it (must have been '94 or '95). It worked well, my only comment was that a diver unfamiliar with it would have trouble. Buddies that had a chance to try it at the start of the dive had no trouble using later in simulated problems, I had no trouble using it after surrendering my primary. All in all a good piece of gear.

Back
Top Bottom