• 500 - 1000 - I'm a diving guru

Votes: 55 8.0%
  • 1000+ I taught Cousteau

Votes: 25 3.6%
  • 2000+ Cousteau, that whipper snapper

Votes: 7 1.0%
  • 3000+ I dived with the dinosaurs

Votes: 18 2.6%
  • 0 - I don't have any idea how many dives I've made.

Votes: 3 0.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by Walter
I've only logged 37 night dives.

That made me check, and if I discount a week long liveaboard trip in October, Over the last 18 months I have more night dives than day dives. :)

Walter... you need to stay up later :)

Or I need to quit my job...

Mike

I love to dive and will keep diving as long as I can..=-) :kitties:

Just nudging 15 dives myself, but these have taken me up to PADI, AOW, which I completed last week in Cyprus. Wonderful - warm water - friendly folk - and superb viz.

Just for interest - beside the Navigation and the Deep Dives I did Peak Performance Buoyancy, Boat Dive and Underwater Photography (well I said the viz was good!)

Lovely shots of a large Moray, several serious Dusky Grouper and more. I will get a dive report on line when I have a moment.

For those who would like to use the same dive centre it's www.amphoradiving.com

MN

537+ for whatevers it's worth.
Not sure if that is a measure of competence.
Helping in the pool i dont count as a dive.
doing a dive and surfacing for 2 min then going back down i dont count as 2 dives either ;-)

around 200 logged... once I hit 100 I stopped for a while and then started up again while working on instructor... I kinda wish I hadn't stopped... oh well...

muff dives?????????????? hehehe

about 1200 myself ..... scuba dives that is. By the way do you a have any "silt" dives? I've got one & it was one too many!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by bjp63
I'll accept the 'rookie' tag, but I have to be honest and say that I'm not as 'rookie' as some of the others I've shared boat dives with. Upsets me to see them destroying the environment because of their inability to control their buoyancy. Although seeing them later with a bright red rash is sometimes compensation enough.

Kind of depressing to think that the thirteen (13) dives I have scheduled in Cancun this month won't move me up into the next category.

.....somebody brought it back to life, and after ready your post, I had a flashback of watching my instuctor of all people, just thrashing a beautiful living reef in Fla. That just flamed me, especially after just receiving a lecture, on the importance, on NOT doing the same! Hmmm:(

Originally posted by ronbo
This question is kinda like asking "How many dates have you been on, versus how many of them do you remember?" (or how many have you LEARNED SOMETHING from?).
What's the sense of doing a dive, or even logging it, unless you didn't come away from it without benefitting in some way (and I'm talking scuba here, not dates, so get it straight!!).

I got the idea from my flying-instructor. Each time as we were taxiing back to the hanger, he'd ask me to tell him what I learned. A couple times, after doing repetitive tough-and-go practice over-and-over again in the hot summer sun, I told him I didn't learn anything because i was too uncomfortable. He'd say I just wasted his and my time that afternoon in that case.

Got me to thinking that maybe I really didn't do a dive if I didn't get anything out of it. Did i learn? Did I enjoy myself? Or was i just racking up numbers so's I could brag to others about it?

I know some divers that only want to get the c-cards. Don't care what rating, or what agency, they just want the stack of cards. Why? I'd 'give' them the cards for free (if I was allowed-to), but I want them to benefit from the education.

So, please remember that when you go thru yer logbook and tally up those dives. And make each one count! Does a pool-dive count where you finally got the hang of buoyancy? Does a 7-minute blue-water dive count when you learn that you can indeed do a C-ESA from 90 feet and survive? Did you learn anything?

On the other hand, and again just like flying, don't 'pencil-whip' your logbook. It's extremely easy to spot someone who says they have 8-zillion dives under their weightbelt when they've really only got 18 dives to their name. Ain't good for their crediblity on the boat. Better to fess up, and learn as ya go.

Old thread resurected.... But I hear ya! I did my flight training in a very old,hot 152, in Baton Rouge, LA, middle summer.
I also taught Martial Arts for years, and my first question would be what is your goal? Many would say, " A Black Belt", at which time I would throw them a black belt from behind my desk, and simply say "Congratulations". See Ya!:wink:

I am delighted to at last have a reasonable number of dives and I would just like to say that I am pretty damn pleased with myself :) I did my first 25 dives (OW, AOW, Rescue) in cold west of Ireland. Then I came to Perth, WA, did my DM (76 dives). I learnt A LOT. Now I'm at Ningaloo and have done the rest here. It's all been thoroughly enjoyable and I have progressed so much. I now feel that I'll have a reasonable chance of staying alive when I go home (and get used to the conditions again of course that will take some serious rehabiliation). I log all open water dives in great detail.

I am trying to question things a bit more instead of blindly following rules. I'm very good at blindly obeying instructions because I've always believed (perhaps a bit naively) that most rules are for peoples' safety. As a beginner diver I did exactly as I was told; if I didn't I'd be dead now. However now that I'm more experienced I feel I should be working it out for myself a bit more and developing my own principles. Trying hard! The discussions help and so do reading back over my logs. Thanks guys.

I've been certified (or, certifiable as my instructor likes to say) for about six weeks now and have 24 dives logged. Not that many, but I'm getting better at it. I log my dives in pretty good detail - my weight, what I was wearing for exposure protection, who I was diving with, where I was diving, and general weather/temperature information. In addition to that I keep almost like a little diary - what I did, what I saw, if I had a good time (or not), anything cool or unusual. It's fun for me to go back and read through my logs (yeah, I know, I can' go *that* far back) and remember that time I was flailing around like a moron on my first OW dive, or that time I screwed up my buoyancy and had to hang on to a tree branch at 20ffw so I didn't head up to the top like a balloon while I was dumping air. My log helps me learn from myself.

I enjoy going through and reading my thoughts on the first time I had my buoyancy down perfectly - getting close to some fish on the bottom of a lake, noticing I was getting close to the bottom and taking in a breath and rising up a little off the bottom. It was awesome!! That point was when I *really* started to enjoy diving, when I felt perfectly calm and relaxed - just slowly finning along, hands holding on to my welt belt (or held at my side) and not moving at all. Learning how to turn myself around in circles with just my fins and no hands....I log every little event. It's fun to watch myself progress and learn to be a better diver - and it helps me accomplish one of the things I got into diving for - to have fun and have great memories of time spent with friends underwater seeing things most people can only dream about.

This coming weekend I'll be doing my AOW class and can't wait. I know it's a little early to be doing it yet, but I need to be AOW certified to go on some wreck dives in Copper Harbor next month so I don't have much choice. Hopefully I'm not doing it so soon that I won't really realize all the benifits of the class, but we'll see I guess.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom