How Many Dives in a year will make you happy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In my "heyday" (age 57-62, divemastering courses included) I did 80 at most one year. Later I averaged 50-70. Now at age 70 in April I will be happy with 30+-- mostly because diving wet all winter here has become less and less appealing...

I got in 55 last year, which I’m happy with. Unfortunately they all mostly fell over two or three trips, so apart from those few weeks, it was long surface intervals. Still, I’d be satisfied with that annually given I live in a land locked state where any dive is a flight.

Avg 1 per week. If that means a few weeks with no dives and then a couple of 2 or 3 tank days then I'm happy. From Sep - Dec I only had 3 dives due to life crap but I still managed 38 dives.

I tend to average around 80 a year, and that's usually spread over 4 trips.
This year its Egyptian Red Sea (sails a week Saturday), Mediterranean (May), Bali (September), and Maldives (Nov/Dec). If I can wangle some more time off work I've got an option of another Red Sea liveaboard in October, which would make it a bumper year and nudge into triple figures.

To be honest, as I rapidly approach the magic age of 70, that 40 dives per year would keep me happy. One warm / tropical trip per year with 20 -25 dives and then 10 local cold water dry-suit dives harvesting scallops and ling-cod from my own boat...

My Tech diving and deep diving deco days are over and I'm good with that. I now primarily dive rec 32 nitrox with a self imposed MOD of 100ft to keep it simple. I also dive a back mount 19cf pony and dive primarily solo.

To be even more honest, my tropical trips these days will most likely be back to Bonaire or LCBR........ both of which I've been too multiple times... and know well.

Sucks getting old but way better than the alternative...

More.

Booked to go Phillipines, all over Bali, sydney and cap it on a thai livaboard december…could easy be 150 but with pfo I will restrict it to maybe half that…and stay on boat waiting on my wife to surface 😊

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom