How many dives did you have when you did AOW

How Many Dives did you have when you started your AOW

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RonFrank:
Interesting, how many dive do you do where you look at a compass for more than out and back?

I agree with you, mostly we just don't need it much. But I'm not so quick to act as a master of this stuff.

probably on at least 60-70% (if not more) of the dives that I do, I look at my compass to take a heading.

I frequently use my compass on drift dives... It's not every time where the boat captain can drop you on the perfect spot. Knowing which direction is West or East is important to find the ledge.

On shore dives too - once you get out there, it's easy to get turned around... In Florida (on the east coast of FL) the beach (home) is always west. :wink:

Tom Smedley:
Navigation is not just looking at a compass - it entails natural navigation skills too - to the point that one is aware of their surroundings and have a general idea where they are at any time during the dive. The compass is useless in zero vis navigation where one must feel the topography and draw a mental picture rather than a visual one.

During open water training the student is already in overload and out and back patterns are about as much as they should absorb. During continuing education training is where squares and triangles can be refined along with application of natural techniques.
I teach the concept of "mental mapping" ... building a little map in your head of where you have been relative to your starting point. In our class, the second navigation dive requires the students to find a series of flags stuck into the ground. Each flag has on it the heading to the next flag. The last flag says, simply, "HOME" ... then you have to get back to the buoy line where we started. If you've kept track of your depth and of which side of the starting "reference" line you're on, it's simple enough. Most students think this is a fun exercise.

Tom Smedley:
As far a buoyancy control - It is not simply a matter of practice makes perfect but a series of trial and errors to trim the weight system (dispersing weight, moving the tank up and down in the back pack, etc.) that makes for a comfortable diver.
I have found the mid-water exercise to be an effective way to teach buoyancy control ... as it introduces task-loading and awareness into the equation. It usually takes several attempts to complete a pattern, but after that dive most students have gotten a really good feel for what good buoyancy control is all about.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

My wife and I recently got our AOW cert. I had 50+ dives and she had 12 or 13 so we saw it from both ends of the spectrum. I already had my own gear and was very familiar with it so I could concentrate on the dive skills a little more. She benefitted by skills refreshment and a new confidence that she hadn't had before. After surfacing from the last dive she said, "That was the first time I've felt really comfortable while diving."

i had more than 10 but less than 15 dives when i took the AOW course, mainly because I planned to take it when I got the chance, and the chance came around sooner than I (and the instructor) expected..
Still wanna do the altitude diver specialty tho, as I live in the mountains :p

I'm certified through SSI so things are a little different in compairison to PADI. The AOW requires completion of individual specialties verses individual dives. With PADI it's just adventure dives in each area (1) deep, (1) night, (1) Nav, etc. with SSI it's (4) specialties and at least 24 dives. I took my Nitrox after 15 dives. Then I took my Navigation when I reached 50. Since I reached 50 I've been working on my other specialties to reach the AOW status in addition to doing other dives. I'm currently working on my Deep Specialty.

My plan is to complete Nitrox, Navigation, Deep and Night specialties. After that I'm going to take the rescue course and qualify for Master Diver. With SSI the req's are (4) specialties, plus Stress and Rescue and min 50 dives to reach Master Diver

NWGratefulDiver:
NAUI also does not require AOW before Rescue ... in fact, NAUI puts a lot of emphasis on rescue skills and requires some level of rescue skills to be taught in every class, starting with OW.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

SSI actually recommends in their reading material that you take Rescue right after OW, before anything else.

It was back in 84 or 85 but I believe I didn't have any dives except my OW check-out dives. I do know my AOW experience really made me a better diver.

draperb@hcsmail.com:
I'm certified through SSI so things are a little different in compairison to PADI. The AOW requires completion of individual specialties verses individual dives. With PADI it's just adventure dives in each area (1) deep, (1) night, (1) Nav, etc. with SSI it's (4) specialties and at least 24 dives. I took my Nitrox after 15 dives. Then I took my Navigation when I reached 50. Since I reached 50 I've been working on my other specialties to reach the AOW status in addition to doing other dives. I'm currently working on my Deep Specialty.

My plan is to complete Nitrox, Navigation, Deep and Night specialties. After that I'm going to take the rescue course and qualify for Master Diver. With SSI the req's are (4) specialties, plus Stress and Rescue and min 50 dives to reach Master Diver

You're taking all the specialties seperatly? I spent a few hundred bucks and took 4 specialties at once to get my AOW. (night/limited vis, deep diving, boat diving, and nav)

NWGratefulDiver:
The last flag says, simply, "HOME" ...
What? No prize? I always have some little treasure there with the last marker, usually a Stella. Smedley's partial to Corona... :)
Rick

34 dives and counting. No AOW yet. Haven't needed it yet. The way I see it I can spend money on air and charters or on AOW course. I choose to dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom