How many cylinders do you own?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Didn't you just buy the Norris 72s?

I did... :) Well last summer I think but close enough.

I'm diving them but I have been working the doubles so much the singles are not getting as much love and I could use some more doubles. :) If they were matching I would double them up.

Honestly I will probably end up not selling them and having my nephew use them but I like to keep my options open.

Way more than I need or use anymore, but up until 2022 I was completely OC and had:
1x LP120 for single back mount (have not done that in at least 10 years)
1x steel 80 (looks like steel 72 but rated for 3000 psi)
2x LP85 for side mount - deeper (32%)
2x LP45 for side mount - shallow (32%)
4x LP72 for side mount - boat dives and multiple dive days without refilling (air)
1x LP108 doubles - deep trimix
1x LP45 doubles - shallow nitrox
2x LP72 doubles - air
1x AL80 doubles - trimix
5x AL80 stage / deco
5x AL40 stage / deco
2x AL30 "ponies" (which I have now repurposed into a no mount setup for sump diving in dry caves)
1x AL6 dry suit inflation - air
1x LP6 dry suit inflation - argon

Then I got my rebreather and realized I would no longer need so many tanks, so I sold all 8 steel 72s and the steel 80. Can't seem to give the LP120 away; it's just too big for anyone to want it. I'll probably get a small gass booster and repurpose the LP108 doubles as a bank system for 18/45 and the LP120 as a bank tank for O2. I now use the double 45s or double 80s as dilout and have the AL13 that came with my rebreather for O2. I also sometimes use the side mount 45s or 85s as dilout (for cave or tight wrecks). I suppose I can also sell off some of the loose AL80s and 40s, since I won't need this many for bailout deco that will not normally be actually used - e.g. I have 3 AL40s of O2 for OC deco (multiple dive days without having to replenish) but one is enough when I don't actually ever breathe it unless I've had to bail out. Same for 2 AL80s of 50% and 3 bottom stages. I can likely get away with 1 of each. I also added one more LP85 (because the price was right) so I would have a nice tank for single back mount with my vintage double hose and modern double hose setups (DAAM and Argonaut Kraken).

This thread hasn't aged in my favor. Added a couple dozen more sets of doubles, a few more compressors and a couple more boosters. I did sell several rebreathers. Down to a more normal amount of them now. I think I only have 5 or 6. You will probably see me on an episode of hoarders someday.

My tank stock has definitely changed in three years.

4 x LP85
4 x LP50
2 x AL80
3 x AL40

3 x AL14 - CCR O2 bottle

The 85s, 50s, and 80s are set up for SM. I’m currently using 50s for CCR BO.

2xLP Steel 72s (1 in hydro)
2x HP steel 130s (0 in hydro)
1x AL40 (in hydro)

This may be more than I need already as I don't like to dive more than once in a day and most often by the time I suck down a 72s worth, i am ready to get out of the water. My thinking was to be able to dive twice in a day with either size, but i am now questioning how likely that is.

The 40 is my pony bottle and while it goes in the water a lot, it doesn't get breathed on very often.

If I keep working with the hydroplane racing circuit I may build a stripped down rig for that with an AL40 and a minimal BP/W setup, in which case I might get more small tanks. Sitting there on the boat in full gear for a couple of hours really makes you feel every ounce!

Sorry, litres for me. Cylinders have significantly reduced in number over the years.

12L steel x 2
10L steel (nominally, Mrs MB's cylinder)
3L aluminium

Only one 12L in test, the rest are on a break, but hopefully, not for too long :)

How many cylinders? Fifteen. But some of them really need to find a new home that will take care of them.

2 x HP 80 (3,500 psig). My first tanks. I dive these local, with my Scubapro SSJ. They pack quite nicely in my FD RX7.

1 x Steel 72 (2,250). A couple of years ago I traded a brand new, once-used Al 80 for this! It almost immediately became (and remains) my favorite tank to use local, with my SS Freedom Plate and 3/2 O'Neill jumpsuit. I need a second '72. (I actually traded a second new Al 80 for a second '72, but that '72 turned out to be questionable.)

1 x OMS (Faber) LP 66. I use this with my VDH-improved DA Aqua Master double-hose regulator and VDH backplate, local, and 3/2 O'Neill jumpsuit. Maybe I need a second one of these, too.

2 x HP 120 (3,500). These were manifolded and used for Great Lakes extended range diving. I broke them apart a few years ago. They are very seldom used anymore. IF THERE IS INTEREST, I'LL PUT THESE UP FOR SALE.

3 x OMS LP 46. These were my first deco cylinders. They sat unused until I began using them when introducing my then-young children to scuba. Two of these 46's are about to be doubled-up using a single-outlet J-valve manifold, for use with my DA Aqua Master. I'LL PUT TWO OF THESE UP FOR SALE

1 x OMS LP 120. An experiment that didn't pan out. (What a pig!!) Used once (and probably never again). I need to get rid of it. I'LL PUT THIS UP FOR SALE (AGAIN?).

3 x Al 6. These are stickered and were used as Argon bottles for Great Lakes extended range diving. I need to get rid of these. SOLD

2 x Al 40. These were my second deco cylinders. I need to get rid of these. I'LL PUT THESE UP FOR SALE AGAIN.

So, as someone earlier in the thread mentioned, often a diver will have different cylinders for different uses.

rx7diver
Seeing this old thread again has reminded me that at one point I was attempting to rid myself of some of my cylinders. Give me a couple of days to revive those old For Sale threads.

I purchased two new Faber LP50's a few months ago. Love 'em as baby doubles. I'll purchase a second pair if I can sell a pair of my OMS (Faber) LP46's--you now, to keep things consistent.

Expand the quoted section above to see my intentions.

rx7diver

Mine seem to keep multiplying in the closet…

1x AL80 (Doubles)
1x LP50 (Doubles)
1x LP85 (Doubles)
1x LP85 (Sidemount)
1x HP133 (Doubles)
5x AL80 (stages, deco)
2x AL40 (deco)
1x Steel 72
1x AL13 (argon)
1x AL6 (argon)

Looking to add 2-3 more AL80s, 1-2 HP100s, maybe a set of LP104 doubles…

Enough that I broke up transporting them to my new house. Transporting all at once would probably have pushed it into a hazmat shipment.

One 8/300 and one 10/300, though keeping an eye daily on the classifieds for another 10/300 or small doubles... I'm just getting started! Not seeing really the same amount of selling going on here. :/
Slight increase from 2020, now

Two 8x300 steels
Two 12x232 steels
One D12x232 twinset (steel)
Two D7x300 twinsets (steel)
One Alu40 (5.7L)

I mostly dive the small D7 twinsets, will probably take apart the D12 to two separate 12x232s as those are more useful to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom