how many carry their own o2 on charter boats

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jazzymusicman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I had a scary incident this past weekend. I don't want to give details because it probably belongs in the A&I subforum and after the last "i got bent" thread i saw on there ... no thanks. Anyways, the O2 kit onboard was in less than ideal condition. How many of you carry your own O2 kits for diving locally? I'm O2 provider certified and am strongly considering buying my own kit. I know this is going to be asked so I'll relent and offer that my issue with the boat kit was a nonfunctional demand valve.

Last edited:
I had a scary incident this past weekend. I don't want to give details because it probably belongs in the A&I subforum and after the last "i got bent" thread ... no thanks. Anyways, the O2 kit onboard was in less than ideal condition. How many of you carry your own O2 kits for diving locally? I'm O2 provider certified and am strongly considering buying my own kit. I know this is going to be asked so I'll relent and offer that my issue with the boat kit was a nonfunctional demand valve.

I'll say that it's a good idea to check boat's O2 kits... there are times when they don't have them (Should not happen in US), they are nonfunctional (as you found), or they are empty. Better to know before leaving rather than when you need them.

I almost always travel by automobile or visit someone who does the type of diving I do, so it's a good bet there is an extra 40 of O2 in the vehicle. If I had any concern with the O2 on the charter I'd be bringing the extra 40 (as well as thinking twice about the charter!)

So basically, my solution, which is sort of an alternative to a medical O2 kit. A AL40 with a regulator. As long as someone can use a scubas demand regulator, my solution works. :D

I'll say that it's a good idea to check boat's O2 kits... there are times when they don't have them (Should not happen in US), they are nonfunctional (as you found), or they are empty. Better to know before leaving rather than when you need them.

Not sure if I have the tact to do this without coming across like an a-hole. :footinmouth:

So basically, my solution, which is sort of an alternative to a medical O2 kit. A AL40 with a regulator. As long as someone can use a scubas demand regulator, my solution works. :D

I guess it works if your patient is conscious and breathing sufficiently

I guess it works if your patient is conscious and breathing sufficiently

Thats true for the demand valve in the DAN O2 kit as well, it requires a breathing victim. To deliver O2 by a ventilator to a victim in respiratory arrest you need an MTV (Manually Triggered Ventilator) unit that costs more and I understand takes more advanced training. Or you can give mouth-to-mask or bag-valve-mask ventilation with supplemental O2 if you have the equipment.

the emergency provider course instructs you to use continuous flow oxygen connected to the one way mask with the bag or the MTV. I was just kind of pointing out that having an o2 stage bottle with a reg didn't work for all scenarios. i was asking because after my hit, i don't ever want to rely on a boat for anything other than a ride

Any place I dive a boat is not a place I would have my own O2 with me, flying.

Any time we dive local I have a full paramedic kit with me.

There's lots of used o2 bottles, tubes, and other gear on craigslist in FL. Lots of elderly folks here, so I assume that accounts for the large number of 02 bottles and gear on the site.

That's kind of what I was planning to get after seeing the pricetag on the dan kit.

Heres how I see it.Part of a boat brief is being told where the onboard 02 is stored so its covered off. I'd be telling the skipper once underway that in my gear bag is my 02 kit if its needed.
I think in an emergency that you will automatically go with whats familiar. So I'll be heading to my gear bag and grabbing my 02 kit.
Let any onboard politicing (if any) sort itself out later At that point in time its all about saving someones life.;

There are exceptions to every rule..... but this is the correct deduction unless you know and verify otherwise. In resort areas they have the gear, but in what condition and what familiarity, as you found out. Boats and divers that are more tech oriented, behave differently than your average rec charter/diver.
Eric

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom