How long would you wait?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would not have waited at all if I were geared up and ready to go. Back roll or giant stride off, locate that beauty and chill and hope it sticks around as I sink or look for a spot to target ahead of the shark and swim there. Don't swim right at it, you don't want to spook it. Hammerheads can be skittish and shy.
It would have taken off the moment you splashed by backroll or stride. If you wanted to see it, you needed to slide into the water as smoothly as possible.

I've kind of tired of sharks very tired. After 4 Maldives channel dives liveaboards, I am totally sharked out.

Don't get me wrong I used to be as in love and fascinated as the next person, but I've had some amazing interactions with individual sharks (including hammerheads at Sipidan) and a truly spiritual moment in a shark nursery in Maldives but ya I don't go out of my way anymore.

It would have taken off the moment you splashed by backroll or stride. If you wanted to see it, you needed to slide into the water as smoothly as possible.

I've kind of tired of sharks very tired. After 4 Maldives channel dives liveaboards, I am totally sharked out.

Don't get me wrong I used to be as in love and fascinated as the next person, but I've had some amazing interactions with individual sharks (including hammerheads at Sipidan) and a truly spiritual moment in a shark nursery in Maldives but ya I don't go out of my way anymore.
I was turtled out in Sipadan, it's been number of years since last time I was there and I am still not too impressed by the sight of a turtle.

No contest - slide in carefully in order not to shy the shark away and enjoy. This one happened to amble by off Pico/Azores. Not an expert, but I think she was pregnant. I felt lucky to share an ocean with her.
388C40AB-B9B6-4726-9976-82A1CE555502.jpeg

Would you have jumped in right away to swim with it, wait a while or call the dive?
While many things can be 'dangerous,' I don't consider a 6 foot hammerhead a health hazard to a human adult, assuming no food or bait in the water and you don't grab it or something ridiculous like that. Scalloped hammerheads close to that size school in the Galapagos, and I was part of dives in the Wolf and Darwin's Arch areas where diving with them was part of the draw.

In non-baited situations with good viz. by day where shark encounters weren't planned, here's what I think I'd do.

1.) Most sharks 6 feet long or less wouldn't deter me, except perhaps an oceanic white tip (particularly if more than one). Have not dove with those. They seem more willing to quickly approach and 'challenge' things they're not substantially larger than, from reports I've read. Watching one zip around and tear into a guy's calf on a video shot in the Red Sea stuck in my mind.

2.) If that hammerhead were close to 10-feet, I don't know. They're not commonly associated with shark attacks, so maybe, maybe not.

3.) I've dove with sand tiger (non-baited), lemon and tiger (shark feeding dives) sharks. Sand tigers don't bother me, lemons I'm pretty cool with, and yet unless I'm planning to dive with tiger sharks as part of a group, once it gets up around 8 to 10 feet, I doubt I'd knowingly dive in with one (though I might as part of a large group).

Years ago I went on 7 shark dives with Emerald Charters, and saw 2 female and 1 male tiger sharks. I was told the females were close to 10 feet; the male was noticeably smaller, but obviously capable of killing someone; I'm guessing he was around 8 feet long. So an 8 foot tiger shark is an intimidating presence.

4.) Never saw a great white; hope to some day (conditional no one is hurt and no close calls). But to knowingly get in the water unplanned with one well over 6 feet? That'd be hard to do.

5.) I've never dove with a mako, but from what I've read, their appearance and reputation, they join oceanic white tips as a species I'm quicker to get nervous about at smaller sizes.

6.) Bull sharks. I've dove with bulls, but not really big ones. If the viz. is good and there's no baiting/feeding, I'd probably go in unless it was really big. If more than one and big, maybe not.

A big question is what are other divers on the boat diving. If it's a shore dive, or somehow a solo boat dive, then the guidelines I gave hold. And this is for U.S. and Caribbean region diving; if in more distant waters, I'd like to hear what dive staff think. I don't know how to reckon the dangerousness of bronze whalers, etc...

Why wait? I've scuba'd and been free diving with lots of sharks. I've only had 2 sharks ever show any real interest in me and both were bulls.

Multiple hammerhead encounters, that seem to just want to get away. They also dont like scooters, tried to chase down a 14' hammerhead and it just took off (as opposed to Bulls that HATE scooters and come after you)

Went out to the second reef off of Anglin's pier (south FL) for my usual 1 tank dive.
While setting up my gear I looked in the water and saw a fin coming toward my boat.
It was a 6' hammerhead and passed less than five feet from the stern, then disappeared.

Honestly, I considered calling the dive, I'm not scared of sharks per se, but do respect them.
Watched the water for 15-20 and then decided to get in, I looked behind me a lot!

I know for a fact the buddy I sometimes dive with would not have gone in.
For me, that shark, or some other sea monster has always been there, I just don't always see them.

This isn't a solo specific question but I posted here because that was the situation.
Would you have jumped in right away to swim with it, wait a while or call the dive?
I have a theory about shark sightings in Palm Beach and Broward Counties where I have done the majority of my 5000 or so dives. In Palm Beach County there are certain spots especially north Palm Beach County where shark sightings are a decent possibility, for a variety of reasons we know and some we don't know. But in general shark sightings are not common. I believe the sharks are always there and can easily detect the presence of divers. I think they really don't appreciate the presence of divers and stay well out of the range where divers can detect them, i.e. see them. I believe they don't appreciate the presence of divers because open circuit scuba makes a lot on noise, i.e. bubbles. Scuba divers blowing bubbles do not behave like any prey item on a sharks list of long prey items. Also the only other animals that blow bubbles in the water are dolphins and whales.

So I am guessing if you jumped in the water the shark would have left the vicinity quite rapidly.

I was turtled out in Sipadan, it's been number of years since last time I was there and I am still not too impressed by the sight of a turtle.
I don't get excited by turtles anymore either unless they're approaching dinosaur size. We saw some like that on one itinerary in Maldives. They'd let us get pretty close as they rested on outcrops but one wanted to be careful because they weren't shy about taking a head swing and a chomping motion.

There are some fair sized turtles at Bunaken too but I don't much like Bunaken, so . .

Went out to the second reef off of Anglin's pier (south FL) for my usual 1 tank dive.
While setting up my gear I looked in the water and saw a fin coming toward my boat.
It was a 6' hammerhead and passed less than five feet from the stern, then disappeared.

Honestly, I considered calling the dive, I'm not scared of sharks per se, but do respect them.
Watched the water for 15-20 and then decided to get in, I looked behind me a lot!

I know for a fact the buddy I sometimes dive with would not have gone in.
For me, that shark, or some other sea monster has always been there, I just don't always see them.

This isn't a solo specific question but I posted here because that was the situation.
A scalloped hammerhead swam near us on “Bath and Tennis” off Palm Beach Fl, last year. So cool to see. Had no interest in us other than to check us out. Down below I feel fine. On the surface I feel like I run the risk of being mistaken for food.

Back
Top Bottom