How long would you wait?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's a baby, 6m would get me waiting a while but I was always spearfishing so. I wouldn't knowingly dive in aroud gws, makos or tigers but had tbem show up during dives interested in scooby snacks. Super not nearly cool as the baited videos.

Went out to the second reef off of Anglin's pier (south FL) for my usual 1 tank dive.
While setting up my gear I looked in the water and saw a fin coming toward my boat.
It was a 6' hammerhead and passed less than five feet from the stern, then disappeared.

Honestly, I considered calling the dive, I'm not scared of sharks per se, but do respect them.
Watched the water for 15-20 and then decided to get in, I looked behind me a lot!

I know for a fact the buddy I sometimes dive with would not have gone in.
For me, that shark, or some other sea monster has always been there, I just don't always see them.

This isn't a solo specific question but I posted here because that was the situation.
Would you have jumped in right away to swim with it, wait a while or call the dive?
I would call the dive. Of course I am one of those few who have absolutely no desire to see a shark (haven't yet in 928 dives)-- or anything that approaches about half my size.

Appreciate the comments, made me rethink some things.
I've encountered sharks while in the water (natural, not baited) and it was different.
Was amazing to see them, made me aware, but I didn't have the hesitation as I did while on the boat.

Once I'm in the soup it's okay, but that first step had me doing a recheck.

Six foot - You (with fins) are probably as big or bigger. Most likely nore afraid of you than anything. I'd jump in with camera on and ready.

I would not have waited at all if I were geared up and ready to go. Back roll or giant stride off, locate that beauty and chill and hope it sticks around as I sink or look for a spot to target ahead of the shark and swim there. Don't swim right at it, you don't want to spook it. Hammerheads can be skittish and shy.

I would have called the dive,

:wink:

then again, I don't open the closet door after dark, and take a couple of running steps before I jump onto the bed, can't be too careful of monsters, you know.

Back in '91, off of Roatan, we had just anchored and were suiting up when a +12' tiger shark circled the boat, we did the prudent thing and moved to another spot to dive.

I would call the dive. Of course I am one of those few who have absolutely no desire to see a shark (haven't yet in 928 dives)-- or anything that approaches about half my size.
Wow, really? Haven't seen one yet? I went years without seeing any, but now happen to see them fairly often. For a while though, I only ever saw them when my camera wasn't working (battery, memory card, flooded, or left at home) On those dives I saw them each time. Lately, though, they seem to be a bit less shy.

Spearfishing does bring them in, which is why I have the Shark Shield, but on many dives, I see them on descent.

Wow, really? Haven't seen one yet? I went years without seeing any, but now happen to see them fairly often. For a while though, I only ever saw them when my camera wasn't working (battery, memory card, flooded, or left at home) On those dives I saw them each time. Lately, though, they seem to be a bit less shy.

Spearfishing does bring them in, which is why I have the Shark Shield, but on many dives, I see them on descent.
Well, last few years my dives have been very shallow shore dives, but before that, no. On one boat off SC they said there are sand sharks all over. I still did the dive, but didn't see a one. In fact, part of the trip was fishing, and some people did haul in some that were maybe 2 feet long.

Would definitely jump in the water

One of my favorite local dives is the shark hotspot near the power plant.

They only come during winter to a specific area where the water is warmer because of the power plant cooling process.

The visibility is around 15-20ft on a good day, average of about 10fr. Sometimes 5-6ft.

Currents are ripping because of the massive water pipe outlet, if you wander off to the wrong area you'll be shot out to the open ocean.

Swarming with dozens of sharks (mostly dusky & Grey tips) well over 10ft in size.

Most of the times you don't see them until they are right infront of your face.

Best dive ever.

FB_IMG_1574344437672.jpg
FB_IMG_1574344431065.jpg

FB_IMG_1548292064799.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom