How long would you wait?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NaCl H2O

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
Went out to the second reef off of Anglin's pier (south FL) for my usual 1 tank dive.
While setting up my gear I looked in the water and saw a fin coming toward my boat.
It was a 6' hammerhead and passed less than five feet from the stern, then disappeared.

Honestly, I considered calling the dive, I'm not scared of sharks per se, but do respect them.
Watched the water for 15-20 and then decided to get in, I looked behind me a lot!

I know for a fact the buddy I sometimes dive with would not have gone in.
For me, that shark, or some other sea monster has always been there, I just don't always see them.

This isn't a solo specific question but I posted here because that was the situation.
Would you have jumped in right away to swim with it, wait a while or call the dive?

I'd make sure I had a wide angle lens fitted and just stay below the boat :D

I'd make sure I had a wide angle lens fitted and just stay below the boat :D

That has been my experience. Large photogenic animals only come around when you have a macro lens on your camera. :(

I was at depth once when suddenly a hammerhead came by. It was a rare occasion when I was diving with my husband but we were very far apart, like we usually are.

The shark wasn't swimming in my direction or my husband's direction .. literally swimming thru between the 2 of us. It was a majestic sight. There were about 10-12 fish behind him big jacks and smaller something else... Looked like a king with his entourage following behind.
I was so attracted to him i didn't want him to leave...i literally followed him, it was hypnotizing. Funny thing after following him for about a minute i saw something shinning to one side and i went to check it out... Tah dah a brand new titanium knife.
To this day my husband makes fun of the knife a hammerhead gave me.

Like others have said above, unless there's a feeding frenzy going on... I will get in the water to see him/her up close because it is a privilege to be able to be close to a hammerhead.

As long as it took me to get a mask and fins on and grab my camera. It might be gone before I got my scuba rig on! Before I was certified my late wife and I took a trip to the keys. Went on a glass bottom boat snorkel tour. 20 people in the water when someone yelled shark. Half bee lined for the boat. The rest of us tried to follow the 8 ft bull shark that swam through the group to get a photo of it.

As long as it took me to get a mask and fins on and grab my camera. It might be gone before I got my scuba rig on! Before I was certified my late wife and I took a trip to the keys. Went on a glass bottom boat snorkel tour. 20 people in the water when someone yelled shark. Half bee lined for the boat. The rest of us tried to follow the 8 ft bull shark that swam through the group to get a photo of it.
Lol

If I had my gear on I would have made a leap into the drink.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom