Trip Report Shark diving in the Bahamas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steve Roquemore

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
We took this trip with Scuba Works to Bimini in the Bahamas for 3 days of diving including 2 shark dives. This dive was for Hammerheads and luckily Tiger sharks also showed up. Upon arriving at the dive site the crew would anchor the boat and begin chumming both from the boat and from the bottom while we waited on the boat. Dozens of nurse sharks immediately showed up and after only 15 minutes the first Hammerhead showed up so then we entered the water and that began our 2 hour window to dive. You had to the choose to return to the boat and change tanks or make the first tank last as long as possible. Since it was only 30 feet deep I just made one 90 minute dive and came up as my camera battery was dead by then. The shop had 3 divers in the water with us and they were very aware of where the sharks were at all times and I always felt safe. Hope to return next winter and spend more time with these amazing animals.

Flew there and the customer plane services are extremely slow. You leave a voice mail and it takes 2-3 days if ever for them to return your call. All reservations are done online and both of the airlines their websites crash or are not available. Coming home I took the ferry and it was very easy and relaxing. My suggestion to anyone going is the ferry. We stayed at the Big Game Resort and it has everything you need and only a few hundred feet to the dive shop and boats. The group left Friday morning on the ferry and got one dive in that day, 2 on Saturday and one on Sunday. The shark dive in the video counts as 2 dives as they bring you 2 tanks and give you the option of using both tanks. At only 30 ft. I lasted 90 minutes and was ready to come up and stayed on the boat for the last 30 minutes.

Originally tried to post this on the Bahamas site and had to shut down the computer due to a thunderstorm and this is where it ended up. Feel free to move it if you would like.

Hi @Steve Roquemore

How did you get to Bimini, where did you stay, who did you dive with? How were the other dives, how many dives?

Perhaps this would be better posted in the Bahamas, want me to move it?

Thanks
Most took the ferry both ways and I flew there on Silver airlines and the ferry home. We were there for 3 days and stayed at Big Game resort. Yes please move it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom