Trip report for Bimini shark dive with Scuba Works

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steve Roquemore

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
We took this trip with Scuba Works to Bimini in the Bahamas for 3 days of diving including 2 shark dives. This dive was for Hammerheads and luckily Tiger sharks also showed up. Upon arriving at the dive site the crew would anchor the boat and begin chumming both from the boat and from the bottom while we waited on the boat. Dozens of nurse sharks immediately showed up and after only 15 minutes the first Hammerhead showed up so then we entered the water and that began our 2 hour window to dive. You had to the choose to return to the boat and change tanks or make the first tank last as long as possible. Since it was only 30 feet deep I just made one 90 minute dive and came up as my camera battery was dead by then. The shop had 3 divers in the water with us and they were very aware of where the sharks were at all times and I always felt safe. Hope to return next winter and spend more time with these amazing animals.

I'd highly recommend this dive for anyone visiting Bimini, regardless of level. In fact, if you've recently gotten certified there, this is a great "welcome to scuba" experience. It's less of a "dive" and more of a "plunge in the water and sit yourself on the bottom for an hour" situation (your heavily overweighted for this dive). Amazing experience.

I did a similar trip to Bimini in March and had the same great experience. It’s a great way to get up close and personal with great hammerheads. The crew at Neal Watsons is professional and safety conscious. Highly recommended!

We took this trip with Scuba Works to Bimini in the Bahamas for 3 days of diving including 2 shark dives. This dive was for Hammerheads and luckily Tiger sharks also showed up. Upon arriving at the dive site the crew would anchor the boat and begin chumming both from the boat and from the bottom while we waited on the boat. Dozens of nurse sharks immediately showed up and after only 15 minutes the first Hammerhead showed up so then we entered the water and that began our 2 hour window to dive. You had to the choose to return to the boat and change tanks or make the first tank last as long as possible. Since it was only 30 feet deep I just made one 90 minute dive and came up as my camera battery was dead by then. The shop had 3 divers in the water with us and they were very aware of where the sharks were at all times and I always felt safe. Hope to return next winter and spend more time with these amazing animals.

Thanks for sharing. What month did you go? Who was your dive operator? I've only used Neal Watson's while in Bimini.

Thanks for sharing. What month did you go? Who was your dive operator? I've only used Neal Watson's while in Bimini.
The prime season is January to April. The “fringe” season includes December to end of April. I’ve been in early March twice and there have always been tons of sharks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom