How long for air consumption to improve?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wheeler925

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I've only got 10 dives in so far. Calculated my SAC at .93cu ft/min. I'm not seeing why exactly so high. I'm not a great athlete, but I do 30min - 1hr cardio 3xish a week, work out regularly, and have a good resting heart rate (65ish). I don't feel overly stressed or anything when I'm diving, but certainly feel like I'm still having to think about buoyancy and everything going on, rather than my brain being on autopilot.

You could see improvement over the next 5 dives or 50 dives. Are you looking around a lot and dashing off to see things? Are you trying to keep up with your buddy or guide? Lots of hand and arm movement least to breathing more. Some people are air hogs even after 100s of dives. I suck air like a hyperventilating elephant imo and have room to improve, but I don't burn a tank like a new diver.

Very commonly, newer divers are a bit "diagonal" in the water. Every kick moves you forward (good) and up (often undesired). They automatically compensate for the upward thrust by being a little negatively buoyant. While that keeps them at a given depth, it burns a lot of gas unnecessarily.

Get a buddy to video you or even just mirror your orientation with their arm for feedback. If you're diagonal, then shifting weight is an easy fix that will improve your consumption.

A more subtle issue is that someone might be horizontal & neutral, but they have to keep kicking to stay that way. If they stop kicking, they rotate (typically feet sink). By improving weight distribution, they can be horizontal or angled as they desire (e.g., to look under a ledge) without the need to constantly kick.

Another thought, if you're using a flutter kick, that burns a lot of gas (though it is fast). Using a frog kick or modified frog kick (just a quick flick from the ankles) lets you coast and lowers consumption. Bonus is you'll see more things by going slower.
I definitely want to learn to frog kick. I've tried it a few times but haven't really had the time to just chill and practice it. The few times I've tried it just felt off and I didn't go anywhere.

When I first got certified, I was using air at or close to that rate. It took me a while but the first thing I realized was that I was way over-weighted. I incrementally reduced the lead I was carrying until I got it down to where I didn't have to put nearly as much air in my BCD to get buoyant. This reduced my drag. When my wife got certified the year after I did, she complained because she couldn't keep up with me. That's when I realized diving is not a race and when I slowed down, it reduced my air consumption even more. And actually paying attention to your breathing rate and practicing slow steady breathing, even when out of the water, will help. One other thing that you probably don't realize at this point in your diving is that although you think you may be relaxed when diving you're really not as much as you think you are. But that's to be expected as breathing underwater is not natural for us. It takes a while to get used to that, too.

Now my SAC (or more accurately RMV) is consistently in the low .4 range, sometimes even dipping into the mid to upper .3s. And I'm a big old guy (6 ft, 245lbs, 68 years old).

Be patient. Make sure your weighting is right, work on your trim, slow down, relax, and practice breathing. Your air consumption will eventually improve. There's no set time as to how long it will take. That will depend on how much you dive and how much you work on it to get these things worked out to make sure you are as efficient in the water as you possibly can.

but certainly feel like I'm still having to think about buoyancy and everything going on, rather than my brain being on autopilot.
You've identified your problem. Until you correct trim and buoyancy, your air consumption will remain high. If I were to guess, I bet you're so off balance that you're sculling with your hands. Fix your trim, and you'll see your buoyancy almost self correct. Then and only then, your SAC will improve.

I'm still a newb and with 80 dives, I'm getting better at consumption but I'm also a big dude so I just dive steel 100s so I don't ruin the party for everyone!

Attachments

• titanic.jpg
    titanic.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 9
I've only got 10 dives in so far. Calculated my SAC at .93cu ft/min. I'm not seeing why exactly so high. I'm not a great athlete, but I do 30min - 1hr cardio 3xish a week, work out regularly, and have a good resting heart rate (65ish). I don't feel overly stressed or anything when I'm diving, but certainly feel like I'm still having to think about buoyancy and everything going on, rather than my brain being on autopilot.

you need to put more dive ! 10 dive is nothing. You will see improvement if you dive on a regular basis. So at least once a week.

Be safe

You could see improvement over the next 5 dives or 50 dives. Are you looking around a lot and dashing off to see things? Are you trying to keep up with your buddy or guide? Lots of hand and arm movement least to breathing more. Some people are air hogs even after 100s of dives. I suck air like a hyperventilating elephant imo and have room to improve, but I don't burn a tank like a new diver.

😂

Back
Top Bottom