How long do steel tanks last?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

100 HP tanks as an example.......
Let's say I buy a new one and take good care of it (rinse after every dive),
how long will it be before it will fail hydro or dive shops will refuse to fill it due to its age?

Thanks......

I once saw an industrial gas cylinder, mfg hydro date of 1914, with hydro dates every 5 years after that. It was a 3a2015. It is quite common for these cylinders to last a VERY long time, when care for properly. There is a good chance that if you buy one, it will be diving long after you have finished with the sport.

When you run out room above the crown to stamp the new hydro date?....

I just got my steel 72 back from hydro, it passed. Original manufacture date 1967.

I acquired it taking a short cut to a friends house 1984. I found it without a valve in a gravel bank. The ID was clean except for some sand. The sn# wasn't reported stolen so I bought a valve had it hydro'ed and have been using even since. Steel is king!

But back to the original Op's question

100 HP tanks as an example.......
Let's say I buy a new one and take good care of it (rinse after every dive),
how long will it be before it will fail hydro or dive shops will refuse to fill it due to its age?

I have a set of the original HP 100's going strong after 20 years now. My 100's were marketed by Sherwood as the Genesis system. These tanks have the narrow thread, are galvanized, and were made by pressed Steel. The born on date is 1990 & 1991 with hydro's every 5 years (96, 01, 06) and are stored at pressure ready to go.

they get rinsed with fresh water when I get home, let dry, and put away in the garage.

I have a friend that has a steel 72 marked 07/67 the date and year I was born. Dove it last season.

Hey, that's cool idea. I'll keep my eyes open for tank made in 4/70, my birth month and year. It would be an interesting novelty to have a tank the same age as me.

Hey, that's cool idea. I'll keep my eyes open for tank made in 4/70, my birth month and year. It would be an interesting novelty to have a tank the same age as me.

DANG!! I would have to find one that was carved out of wood!:shocked2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom