Question How long can I wait before...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No just really feel tired I started the e-learning on Saturday afternoon and on Thursday, fingers crossed, I will get the certificate than go to work Friday and Saturday. So I don't really feel to dive on Sunday again but it make sense to perhaps do it in two Sundays time after all I'm in Malta we still got a reasonable weather
Soon enough SCUBA might be just what makes you properly relax! Just get over the initial phase:)

Ok thanks I wanted to double check you you guys if he was just upselling or suggest for my own good
A third possibility is that he believes most newly minted OW divers would like to dive as soon as possible, and he would like to give you that opportunity.

It may be some combination of the three:
  • he believes you want to dive as soon as possible;
  • he believes that diving sooner rather than later will help you cement the skills you just learned;
  • another part of his business is selling dive excursions.
That said, if for whatever reason you just don't feel like going, don't go. Diving is supposed to be fun. Dive when you want to dive and don't dive when you don't want to dive.

I agree as soon as possible. I got certified on a Nov. 6 and did my first post OW dive early January (waited to get to Florida, had no wetsuit yet). I had no problems with that amount of waiting.

Why would you want to wait? You’ll just start forgetting everything you learned….go DIVE DIVE DIVE as much as you can as long as you’re having fun and being safe.

Diving is tiring for many people at first, especially classes. It is good to go soonish to reinforce what you’ve learned, but diving tired is less than ideal or fun. Perhaps wait until the next weekend if that feels better to you.

The people at your local DS know you are a new diver, I am sure you will feel more comfortable with them starting out.

Hi all,

If everything goes as planned tomorrow I should get my OW certificate, however I feeling that my DS is pushing me to go diving with them already next Sunday, because he say is better to start to put in practice straight away, even tho this make sense, to me feels a bit pushy so I was wondering how long is acceptable to wait before start to dive after you complete the OW ?
I recommend going diving the next day if you can. It doesn't sound like the dive shop is in any way malicious here, even if it means you rent gear from them. The fact is, continuing diving frequently and consistently helps cement the skills you have and develop muscle memory.

It took me 3 1/2 months from when I was certified until I did my first recreational dive because I was getting gear together, and yeah, I lost a lot in that time. Things like which button is fill and empty on the inflator hose or just getting fins on in the ater. The sooner you get out and do it, the better!

Back
Top Bottom