Question How long can I wait before...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mario007

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all,

If everything goes as planned tomorrow I should get my OW certificate, however I feeling that my DS is pushing me to go diving with them already next Sunday, because he say is better to start to put in practice straight away, even tho this make sense, to me feels a bit pushy so I was wondering how long is acceptable to wait before start to dive after you complete the OW ?

Hi all,

If everything goes as planned tomorrow I should get my OW certificate, however I feeling that my DS is pushing me to go diving with them already next Sunday, because he say is better to start to put in practice straight away, even tho this make sense, to me feels a bit pushy so I was wondering how long is acceptable to wait before start to dive after you complete the OW ?

Waiting a week or two is fine. Six months, not so much. Why not go diving next weekend?

The sooner the better, while you still remember everything. If you wait -- say -- 6 months, you will be like starting over again.

There is no reason to wait long, the only way you'll get more comfortable in the water is by diving more, so by waiting you're just delaying your first "real" dives and you might start forgetting the things you just learned. I'd say go next weekend or the one after, to really bring everything you were taught together outside of a class environment.

You decide what is acceptable, only you know how well you absorb the information and typically how long you remember things.

What came to mind when reading the post was: don't you want to go diving? I'd like to go tomorrow instead of waiting for Sunday. Now between wanting and being able to, sometimes there's a gap.

Of course the shop is pushy, they want your business. But why do you feel pressured? I'm just wondering where is the problem, time or money should be understandable, but if there are nerves or it feels like work, that would point to something different.

Ok thanks I wanted to double check you you guys if he was just upselling or suggest for my own good

I'd say definitely go for it as soon as possible. Unlike the courses, you'll be out there for fun, putting into practice what you learned. It's probably just nerves holding you back but as others have said, the longer you wait the more you'll forget from the course. I too don't like being pushed into things, think of it more as a good suggestion that has worked for many others. After all .. you got certified so you could go diving :)

I'd say definitely go for it as soon as possible. Unlike the courses, you'll be out there for fun, putting into practice what you learned. It's probably just nerves holding you back but as others have said, the longer you wait the more you'll forget from the course. I too don't like being pushed into things, think of it more as a good suggestion that has worked for many others. After all .. you got certified so you could go diving :)
No just really feel tired I started the e-learning on Saturday afternoon and on Thursday, fingers crossed, I will get the certificate than go to work Friday and Saturday. So I don't really feel to dive on Sunday again but it make sense to perhaps do it in two Sundays time after all I'm in Malta we still got a reasonable weather

Sooner is better, as long as it fits your schedule and budget. Don't let anyone pressure you into doing something that makes you uncomfortable. If you are tired, or otherwise uncomfortable, then just say no.

Go diving as soon as you can! Why wait?
When I got certified my buddy and I couldn’t wait to get out there and do our very first shore dive.
We were trained to be self sufficient enough to plan and execute a dive on our own in the environment that we were trained in.
I’ve heard stories that it’s not always like that now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom