Question How long can I wait before...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just done some digging.
In 2012 the government of Malta make a regulation about diving which state:
You should see if you can find out what they mean by that. Recreational limit is 40M for every agency I’m familiar with.

There’s a difference between training limits and certification limits. The training limit for most OW courses is 20M. That doesn’t mean that the OW diver is only certified to that depth. It only means that that would be the max depth of the dives during training.

The only certs I’m familiar with that may have a lower limit are Jr. OW. Scuba Diver cert may as well, but that cert requires diving with a DM any way.

Of course, all that is moot if you are diving with a dive operator. They may have their own rules. And if you don’t meet the minimum requirements, you don’t dive with them.

I just done some digging.
In 2012 the government of Malta make a regulation about diving which state:
That regulation is BS. A good reason to avoid Malta.

ADDED: Actually, it depends on what "independent" means. If it means "without a buddy" a.k.a. "solo," then the regulation makes more sense. If it means "without supervision," then it is BS.

My DS will let you rent out the gear only if you have AOW or equivalent
Are you not in fact saying that your DS will only let you rent the gear if you are OW only if you book a guided dive?

Why don’t you book a guided dive just to start anyway?

You might as well do that to enjoy your holidays in Gozo?

As others have said, better to do some dives pretty soon after getting your OW. I'd bet that you'll learn more during your first 10 post-OW dives than the OW training itself!

As others have said, better to do some dives pretty soon after getting your OW. I'd bet that you'll learn more during your first 10 post-OW dives than the OW training itself!
Yes, I think you'll pick up more things regarding just normal diving, buoyancy, etc. A lot of the OW course is about what to do when things go sideways.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom