How long can a nitrox tank be stored fully filled?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nitrox_DiverNY

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all, I have two AL80s fully filled with Nitrox 36 that have been sitting for almost a month and I probably won't be able to use them for at least another 15-20 days. Is it safe for the tanks and the gas to be kept at 3000psi for almost 2months? Is there a limit on how long you should keep any tank fully filled? Thanks for the help!

Years and years and years...

Rebreather divers will have bail out battles that may have the same fill for multiple years. I’ve heard stories of divers who haven’t used them for the entire length of the Hydro! :)

Theoretically, it’s not impossible that the tanks could literally rust/oxidize enough that they could consume some of the oxygen. With no moisture in the tank, there wouldn’t be any oxidation, and there shouldn’t be any moisture in the tank. But you could check that by simply analyzing the gas. If the analysis matches, the gas is just fine. It’s not going to go stale or anything like that.

This is a common question. The common answer is that the tank will remain breathable for YEARS. Some people have replied to threads like this saying they have breathed tanks after a decade with no ill effects. So long as the tank was in proper shape at the time it was filled, it is not a problem.

Years and years and years...

Rebreather divers will have bail out battles that may have the same fill for multiple years. I’ve heard stories of divers who haven’t used them for the entire length of the Hydro! :)

Theoretically, it’s not impossible that the tanks could literally rust/oxidize enough that they could consume some of the oxygen. With no moisture in the tank, there wouldn’t be any oxidation, and there shouldn’t be any moisture in the tank. But you could check that by simply analyzing the gas. If the analysis matches, the gas is just fine. It’s not going to go stale or anything like that.
hey thank you for the feedback, that's pretty neat about the rebreather divers keeping the same fill for years! I really doubt my fill would have moisture so its good to know that it can last as long as the 02 is good. Thanks

This is a common question. The common answer is that the tank will remain breathable for YEARS. Some people have replied to threads like this saying they have breathed tanks after a decade with no ill effects. So long as the tank was in proper shape at the time it was filled, it is not a problem.
thanks for the help, learn something new everyday!

I can't figure there'd be any difference between nitrox and air regarding storage time.
I get my (air) tanks all filled in Nov. for winter diving and sometimes don't get to the last one until the following May. Never haad a problim or ani badd exffexzct.

I had a 72 steel that was filled to 2250psi and left untouched for 20 years. I used it then had it hydro'd, it passed and is now due for another hydro this year. So forever or until the O2 is used up by oxidation.

I had a 72 steel that was filled to 2250psi and left untouched for 20 years. I used it then had it hydro'd, it passed and is now due for another hydro this year. So forever or until the O2 is used up by oxidation.
that's nuts, just shows how strong these tanks are

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom