How is rental gear sanitized?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

poifromthebag

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Is there a standard way rental gear (especially the regulator and octopus) sanitized?

(looking for experience of people working at dive shops with rental gear)

EDIT: I'm also wondering if due to covid shops are trying a little harder to clean stuff.

We have a giant tub of water with concentrated cleaning agent (Sani-Q) where rental regulators and masks get soaked after every use. During wetsuit season those are soaked last, for obvious reasons...

While we are not in the business of renting gear, we typically use Steramine or Virkon-S, periodically, to clean equipment, especially, after nastier assignments.

When I worked at a shop, as a kid, it was some concentrated over-the-counter, dishwashing detergent or a product like OdoBan that had been used . . .

How is rental gear what?

The salt or sun kills everything.

Last time we used rental regs we were directed to a tub of strong bleach water where we soaked the regs (attached to a tank) ourselves so we knew it had been done before we used them.

How is rental gear what?

The salt or sun kills everything.

From an earlier, related thread:

"Cultures taken from supposedly "disinfected" rental regulators in the past, have issued samples of various strains of E. coli; Clostridium; Salmonella; Bifidobacterium; Cryptosporidium; Staphylococcus; and the lovely Candida, the causative agent of genital yeast infections, and thrush.

"In terms of pollution studies, the presence of coliform bacteria and other enterics -- visible under conventional microscopy -- is a standard indicator for the concomitant presence of viruses. Just expect them to be there. To give you some illustration, we found fewer infectious agents on well-maintained toilet seats, than in or on rental gear . . .
"

Other people's spit, unless its wet suits.......

Just reading the thread tittle I get gross mental images.

Didn't think I was a germaphobe but I guess this pandemic changed me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom