How is Palancar Horseshoe doing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

December

IF that's what happened you should probably seek medical attention. IJS:D

Cyano is phosphate limited, at least in marine aquaria. Maybe they need to add some GFO... :). Sorry to hear it's messing up a wild reef...

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk

We were there today. Didn't notice anything out of the ordinary....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've seen this stuff several times at different sites over the years. Memory says it was mostly on flat areas with small patches of short grass and rocks. It attaches itself to that. It had no effect on water color or cloudiness. You may have had fresh or swamp water coming at you at the same time but the algae isn't the cause of foul water.

"You may have had fresh or swamp water coming at you at the same time"
Hate it when that happens!

Sounds like cyanobacteria: Cyanobacteria - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ask any reef aquarist, it's ugglyy but not uncommon, in fact it's present in all seawater. Maybe there was a localized nitrate or phosphate build up from something dying that caused a bloom.
They think the nutrients (nitrogen) comes from run off from Mainland Mexico delivered through the centote system. That's according to this website Geographical Database for photos, videos, GPS Coordinates, news, and project descriptions./Mexican Reef Ball Projects and Photos/cozumel/Cozumel Reef Monitoring/Palancar Monitoring Dive June 16, 2007

I've seen this stuff several times at different sites over the years. Memory says it was mostly on flat areas with small patches of short grass and rocks. It attaches itself to that. It had no effect on water color or cloudiness. You may have had fresh or swamp water coming at you at the same time but the algae isn't the cause of foul water.
What we saw wasn't growing on grass and rocks. It was killing a area of coral on Palancar Reef. In that area any coral that isn't covered with red slime is dead.
As far as the cloudiness being caused by anything other than the slim, that is unlikely. We had good viz the two weeks I was there. The only cloud we ran into was siting on top of the red slime. There wasn't much current, we were doing more swimming than drifting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom