How important is a same-sex roommate on a week-long trip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would not feel confortable sharing a cabin with a man I don't know. Although I don't spend much time there, when I am and when I sleep, I like to wear very little clothing, so I could not to do that... I guess I could do it for a couple of days, but for a week it might spoil my holidays...:blinking:

No I don't think you are strange! I had an unknown male roommate (years ago now) and it was an absolute disaster - as he didn't want to stay "unknown" for too long and wanted to share very quickly - if you get my drift! I spent the entire week trying to avoid him. I have ever since paid supplements when traveling alone. Equally I have met many men who do this as well. So do what you want!

My choice isn't so much about gender as it is about personality. There are a couple of people with whom I dive that I almost can't handle on the surface.

:)

I think its perfectly valid for anyone to feel uncomfortable sharing a room with someone of the opposite sex.

You are normal and are completely justified in how you feel. AND YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE TO EXPLAIN TO ANYONE!

Thank you everyone! I will plan this vacation such that I have my own room--I am an attorney billing for every 6 minutes and plan to reap the rewards for my week away.

Like I said, I think 99% of the guys out there, especially divers, are excellent guys whom I would never need to worry about. But until I find a permanent dive buddy, I will be paying single supplements or insisting on a female roommate.

I just finished a dive trip about 10 days ago where I had a male roommate. Though I hadn't met him before the trip was through our local dive shop so some of my fellow divers knew him. The boat we did was full so we had no chance for a single. It was a little awkward the first couple of days but it wasn't bad. He tried to be considerate of me and I of him and by the end of the day we just wanted a place to sleep.

I've shared a room with my son so while there's a little more of a comfort factor there we still need a little privacy to change but then many people don't like changing in front of anyone, same or opposite sex.

So the bottom line is it really isn't a big deal.

Check this out

Thank you everyone! I will plan this vacation such that I have my own room--I am an attorney billing for every 6 minutes and plan to reap the rewards for my week away.
Hey....

You know why sharks won't bite lawyers???

Professional courtsey:rofl3: now that's funny

Like I said, I think 99% of the guys out there, especially divers, are excellent guys whom I would never need to worry about. But until I find a permanent dive buddy, I will be paying single supplements or insisting on a female roommate.

Doc has decided that scubabeachboy should mellow.

Karen,

This is YOUR trip, and you need to do what you feel comfortable doing. It doesn't matter what the rest of us think. We all have different personalities and comfort levels. If you can afford (and it sounds like you can) to pay the supplement and feel more comfortable doing so than risking being in a room you lose sleep over because of your particular comfort zone, then by all means go for it. Don't worry about what anyone thinks except you. Enjoy your trip! Wish I was going....then I'd be willing to be your roomie :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom