How important is a same-sex roommate on a week-long trip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What a depressing outlook on life and your fellow man...
I think I´d rather be a loner or an idiot...

Dear friends: I spent many years over seas in the military. I have seen smelled, tasted, and lived 3rd world poverty death squads and hunta governments These people will steal you used underware if they could. So go ahead and be a "happy-go-lucky" dumb *** tourist, travel down the back alleys, drink the local water, kiss on the local working girls, wear all your best jewerly, and get really really drunk after dark in a bar you have never been to before. Please do so. If they are rolling you, they wont havre time to roll me. I just look for your body in the canal the next morning.
hahhahahhahhahahhahh!!!!!!

Let's not start comparing experiences let's just say that I've worked and traveled in almost every country of S-America and various of Africa..I also understand that my initial post may sound a bit 'mellow-hippie let's all be friends feel good vibe'..

Of course I'll try to minimize risks but you need to be rational... not paranoid... I'm not going to go in certain Sao Paulo burrows after dark... but in Bangkok I will... I will never wear a fancy watch... but in some places you will stand out as 'target' no matter how low profile you try to be and not wearing a fancy watch is not going to chance that(being caucasian and 6 feet 2 will make you stand out in a lot of places)

If I'm on a holiday I will not drink local water and will be picky about food since time is sparse and I don't want my holiday ruined by sickness... however if I'm staying somewhere for a longer period you bet I'll drink local water and eat local food...I'll be real sick for a couple of days... but after about a month your intestines will start to react and get used to it. Do I trust local doctors and hospitals... it depends but generally speaking yes... they may not have the same hardware but generaly speaking their knowledge is on par (basic medicine). To give an example I was once suffering typhoid... in Western medicin they would monitor you using hardware, give appropriate antibiotics ... when I was suffering they left a nurse next to my bed for 2 days... she monitored my heart rate, blood pressure manually... and they also gave antibiotics (different generic types but all the same effective) All in all basic sense is to follow local customs... if they don't drink tap water.. don't do either...if they don't go at night into back alleys don't do either etc etc

I could have spaired myself this elaborate explanation...in short... of course you have to be carefull, but you also need to have common sense... and if you keep an open mind you'll get help if needed from the strangest of places/people.

In the in my opinion very protected environment that is life-a-board diving... It would be very strange to be that paranoid as you described about roommates.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm????
Seems a rumble may have started here,...yes I said 'Rumble".
I know I am dating myself, however, I is be what I is be!
As fer da werkin' gurlz,......yes been there done it!
But I'm 6'4" musclular guy with a mean look.
Dont have to worry about the locals messin with me/us.
But the TWINKIES do!
My girlfriends (8 of em') love going on town with me.
We love it when the locals try selling us something, or rippin us offf, then I say real and deep "WE DO NOT WANT TO HAVE TROUBBBBBBBBLE, DO YOU??",
hahhahhahahhahhahhahhahhhahhahahhahhahhaha, WORKS EVERY TIME!!!!!
I give it a Bavarian accent!

well,.................................??????
Parrty-on!

hahhahhahhphphoihuhuhohohihuhuihohhhahahahahahh!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom