How important is a same-sex roommate on a week-long trip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you're not comfortable with it then pay for your own room and be done with it. You're the one that has to be satisfied with your arrangements not someone else.

Despite my own wish for a private room experience from our own dive trips shows that putting strangers together works allright. Most of our guests travel alone. But since we have seen more and more regulars (It's just two trips a year, and some guests have their annual diving vacation with us) they very often team up with some they've met on earlier trips. -Which again are people they wouldn't have met, if they hadn't come alone the first time!

Only twice we've had people asking for a separate room, which they wish to pay extra for.

We do not mix gender though.

Thank you all! I have gone a Blackbeard's cruise (bunks in a crowded cabin) and slept in hostels, so mixed dorms don't bother me as much as a room with just two people.

As a lawyer and a kickboxer, on a vacation, I want to forget the lawyer part and not need to kick or box anything or anyone.

It's good to know that the comfort level of divers varies so much (and that some men wouldn't want to share with a women). I can see where the operator thought I might be coming from and put things into better perspective.

When I travel with a dive buddy, the buddy is almost always female, but someone who I've known and dived with for some time. Nothing in the arrangement but diving, so no worries about untoward advances.

For a single female traveling solo and sharing accommodations with an unknown male, I think your concerns are certainly rational ones. I see nothing wrong with you wanting to go with the single supplement.

Undercurrent brought this up a while ago. For me, it depends on what the arrangements are.

If it is dormitory style then no problem as long as I know that in advance. Of course I've been doing that since I was a kid so I'm acclimatized.

On the other hand mixing genders in cabin style is something neither I, nor most men I know, want to do. I'm there to dive, period. While most roommates probably have the same agenda, a significant number do not.

If the operator can't provide comfortable accomodations for me then I go somewhere else.

I certainly agree--on a dive trip, I'm not looking for a romantic relationship. Quite frankly, I'm more interested in the fish and the food.

I am the type who usually hangs out in the common area with a good book and only go to my room or bunk if it gets too rowdy for my quiet pursuits.

I think sharing a room has a lot to do with trust--you trust your roommate with your belongings, privacy, and good nights' sleep. Because I am a woman, I simply find it easier to trust a woman.

Like I said, I am considering a few operators and this will definitely be a factor! Thank you for your perspectives.

what about a singles trip? wreck wench is doing a aussie trip in december with 10 gals to 2 blokes or something like that....next year is galapolos (sp) i think

BUT!

even if it was me on those trips.... i think i would upgrade to single because i like my privacy (if i was single that is-being married i cant get rid of hubby :wink:)

I certainly agree--on a dive trip, I'm not looking for a romantic relationship. Quite frankly, I'm more interested in the fish and the food.

Then we'd make good roommates... my interests are identical! Just teasing ya Karen.

Then we'd make good roommates... my interests are identical! Just teasing ya Karen.

i wouldn't mind sharing a room with you, dr. bill.... :D

Hi,
I was put in a position one time to chose if I wanted a female roomie or a male. It was going to make things at that time much easier for everyone if I just roomed with a male. So I thought It would be no big deal, I normally get along with everyone, and said Ok Ill room with the new guy. It turned out to be horrible. And not all guys are quick in the bathroom . If I could do it over again, i would have pushed for the female roomie.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom