How important is a same-sex roommate on a week-long trip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would not worry about it that much. But I do understand your concern. Truth be told....after 3-5 dives a day...all ya want to do is crash somewhere...You could simply set ground rules regardles of whom you bunk with...that way a true understanding that « we are here to dive and have fun meaning no hokie pokie...:wink:» nothing more. The worse case is..you may meet someone nice and make a lasting friendship...a down side to sharing a room with a stranger is...they could fart at night and the smell alone will curl your toes...........:11:

either way go and have fun...

Safe dives

Stephen

I don't think it is generally a problem. Same room, not same bed, right? Based on your avatar I would think you are used to guys making plays. Handle it as usual if they do, then report it if they don't back off.

You never know if a room mate will be compatible, same sex or not. Establish your "rules" early to set the tone. Avoid sending unintended "signals".

I think most guys will trip over themselves to make a girl feel comfortable. But ultimately, you have to be comfortable.

A kickboxer and a lawyer. I'd be scared to say anything even remotely out of order or off color. But as was also said already. My wife would probably not care for the idea. No matter what they say I've found that people can be very jealous while telling you they are not. Last week I was assigned to buddy up with a female student. After the class all my wife wanted to know was why I was paying more attention to the that student than the others. This was after she heard the instructor tell me to pair up with this woman. The question was preceeded by her saying I'm not jealous but.... Do what makes you comfortable. Realize though that if asked afterwards by his SO that he will lie and say you were a man, lesbian, or very ugly. If asked by his friends he'll say you were hot and he pretended to be asleep alot while you were dressing, showering, etc. Sorry but we are pigs.

No doubt my wife would be off the hook! Maybe your wife and mine are related, Jim...:D

A kickboxer and a lawyer....and you are worried?! :11: I wouldn't want to share a room with anyone. I had enough of that being in the Army, whether two or eight to a room.

Also, I would spend the extra money for a supplementary. Besides, I snore loud enough to keep the boat awake!

Like the others said, do what you're comfortable with. I've shared camping accomodations and occasionally a room and even a bed (in separate sleeping bags) with men; some I knew, some I didn't and it's always been a great time but I've never had to do it for a week. I like male roommates because their personalities usually mesh better with my tomboy nature. We set the ground rules and run with it, no big deal. That said, if a guy set my "weirdo meter" off when I met him I would insist on a different roommate. It's your trip, have it your way :D
Ber :lilbunny:

Do what makes you comfortable. During ski, dive, rafting trips & doing group rental vacation houses, I roomed with genders, orientations, personalities & never had a problem. Even when travelling as a couple, my partners & I have roomed with other couples or other singles. Never had a problem. If one does arise, I would suggest addressing it immediately... Good luck.

I'm a MAN, and I would too pay extra to avoid sharing a room with another man! Great to have your own room on your holiday anyways, so there's nothing in the worlds' matter with you. Have a great trip if you didn't already! :)

I am a middle-aged man and I wouldn't want to stay with someone I didn't know--it could create tension and mess up the vacation. If I were a (youngish) women I would trust a man I know and trust, but I would be as wary as you are about being assigned to stay with a strange man.

If you decide to stay with a man I would take Ber Rabbit's advice about the "weirdo meter" since it would be horrible to feel uncomfortable for a week when you want to be well rested and have fun.

Steve

I'm male, and I'd be more concerned with whether I know the person than what their gender was, personally. Whether they smoke, etc.

Dive in several locations and eventually you'll be introduced to the idea of a communal dive lodge. Nothing like sharing bunking with fifteen or so perfect strangers united by diving. It's actually really cool - I've met some of my favorite divers this way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom